Food for Firemouhts (regular flakes not working)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawzforlife

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I got my Firemouths, the guy told me to just use flakes to feed them. I thought "great I already have flakes". But the firemouths are very reluctant to eat them. They will not swim to the top to eat. They will only each if it sinks down in front of their face. Is the regular "tropical fish flakes" not right for cichlids, and if so what should I get?

They may take to pellets better than flakes. They make slowly sinking pellets for such fish.

Don't overfeed them in your concern. As long as they're getting some, they'll learn over time that whatever you feed them is the only thing they're going to get. They'll get more anxious to eat when they're well settled in.

Firemouth Info:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1095&N=0

Same situation happened to me once with my convicts, I didn't know any better. But they grow to a certain size and flakes won't cut it. Go for the pellets, Tetra Brand makes one with a jack dempsey on the cover, you'll be amazed at how they condition up...

Back
Top Bottom