Food/Treats for Goldfish - what do you give?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunder-head

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have 2 Comets, a silver minnow feeder fish and a little Panda Moor; they get fed flake food as their basic grub. However we also supplement their diet with Cucumber, Shelled Peas, Brine shrimp, Tubifex and they have Elodea plants that they like to munch on! We tried them with bloodworms once, but they liked them a bit too much and squabbled over them so no more bloodworms! What do you guys feed yours?

Hi! I feed my commons and fancies New Life Spectrum sinking pellets and peas once a week, and brine shrimp as a treat. I tried cucumber and zuchini but they just looked at it. Java moss they destroyed in an evening. The anacharis and hornwart I use as floating plants because they kept uprooting!

Blanched Zucchini , Orange slice (messy) I only feed that the day before tank maintenance.

Feed Fancies sinking food or PRE-SOAKED flakes.

Skinned Peas are very good. Also Omega One Algae Wafers. Anacharis plants floated on top.

Cool! Never heard about the orange slice before, might give it a try! we've had the same problem with goldfish uprooting/eating plants, annoying when you like aquascaping!

As far as plants go
A. You can use Anubias. Taste bad and prefers to be tied to a rock or piece of driftwood.
B. Try a plant in a pot, bury pot or hide with decor or rocks
C. Try a plant in gravel and surround with large rocks or driftwood to protect from uprooting.

Anubias do not like their Rhizome buried. If you want to "plant" them only bury the thin roots, not the Rhizome.

I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum. The right diet will greatly reduce their desire for plants. I have or have had the following with my goldfish with no issues: giant onion, cabomba, tiger lotus, swords, red arrowhead, anacharis, wisteria, water sprite, vals, moneywort, hornwort, and more.

Back
Top Bottom