Found a really cool rock at the beach - can I use it in my freshwater aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

First_aquarium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I just set up my first ever tank a week ago, am currently cycling it.
Went to the beach recently and found a really nice rock that I would like to use if possible. I heard that there are members here that can identify if it will leech anything bad into the water.

I did the vinegar test, it didn't fizzle, and of course I'd boil it first as well.

Please see a photo of the rock attached.

Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20230814_192113296.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230814_192113296.MP.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 22
Hi, I just set up my first ever tank a week ago, am currently cycling it.
Went to the beach recently and found a really nice rock that I would like to use if possible. I heard that there are members here that can identify if it will leech anything bad into the water.

I did the vinegar test, it didn't fizzle, and of course I'd boil it first as well.

Please see a photo of the rock attached.

Thank you!
I wouldn't use this piece because it appears to be a number of smaller rocks held together by a substance ( most likely but not definitely tar) and if so, can leech whatever is in the tar. The acid test is basically for single items to confirm a calcium base or not and not really accurate for items of multiple ingredients.

I wouldn't use this piece because it appears to be a number of smaller rocks held together by a substance ( most likely but not definitely tar) and if so, can leech whatever is in the tar. The acid test is basically for single items to confirm a calcium base or not and not really accurate for items of multiple ingredients.

Thank you, I thought as much but wanted to confirm! It shall stay a nice paperweight on my desk instead ?

Thank you, I thought as much but wanted to confirm! It shall stay a nice paperweight on my desk instead ?
(y)(y) Nice piece tho. (y)
The beach is a very hard place to collect things from. You really don't know what the items went through. :( Maybe it was in an oil spill? Maybe a sewage leak? Who knows. :confused: I usually use things from the beach in a shadow box behind the aquarium. You can make interesting aquatic scenes for when you look through the tank without effecting anything in the tank. ( In some cases, shadow boxes can actually make the fish themselves feel more secure when you incorporate appropriate items inside the tank as well that match the shadowbox theme. (y) )

(y)(y) Nice piece tho. (y)
The beach is a very hard place to collect things from. You really don't know what the items went through. :( Maybe it was in an oil spill? Maybe a sewage leak? Who knows. :confused: I usually use things from the beach in a shadow box behind the aquarium. You can make interesting aquatic scenes for when you look through the tank without effecting anything in the tank. ( In some cases, shadow boxes can actually make the fish themselves feel more secure when you incorporate appropriate items inside the tank as well that match the shadowbox theme. (y) )

Ah that's a nice idea with the shadowbox, I'll look into it thank you ?

Back
Top Bottom