Found A Tiny Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobprobert

Aquarium Advice Newbie
so i bought 2 live plants yesterday from pet supermarket. these were live plants from a tank mind you not the type in the snail free tube. anyways this morning i see i have a tiny little snail crawling up the side of my tank. should i be concerned or should i just let it live in there?

I personally like snails and consider them to be benificial and keep them in almost every tank. That being said some snail species populations can get out of control quickly and I usually have some sort of population control measure in place. Something like assassin snails, or loaches.

I personally like snails and consider them to be benificial and keep them in almost every tank. That being said some snail species populations can get out of control quickly and I usually have some sort of population control measure in place. Something like assassin snails, or loaches.

so they don't need 2 to reproduce?

Well some snails don't need two, but if you found a tiny one on a plant you brought home, chances are there's more already

This happened to me and I love it there are hundreds in three tanks they keep the tanks clean which is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think it depends on which snails you have and whether or not you value your live plants. Pond snails will eat and damage plants and breed profusely. They feed on live plants as well as left over food so will multiply regardless of careful feeding. Malayan Trumpet Snails (MTS) don't eat living plants, only decaying leaves and of course left over fish food. Only if you over feed the tank will you get a snail explosion. MTS have the other benefit of burying themselves during the day which slowly turns over the substrate keeping it well oxygenated and less stagnant.
So, personally, if they are pond snails get them out and if MTS I would keep them.
Google them to get pictures, they are very different from each other.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom