Found a turtle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi
My friend found a turtle & I am hoping to help find out how to care for it.

image-1996460990.jpg

I told them they can have a 30 gallon aquarium for the moment...

Thanks!

either red eared slider or eastern painted, hard to tell from pic. if your friend plans to keep this as a pet they'll need something much much larger than a 30gal my brother in law kept one in a 55 still to small, also wild caught turtles can carry some very nasty contagions, if handled directly make sure to wash hands with hot soap and water, botchalism(probably mispelled) is no fun

It looks like a red-eared slider. To cut down on germs you can gently scrub the shell with dawn soap (wildlife clinics use it to remove oil spill messes as its safe) just keep it away from the head obviously. And i would suggest feeding her (you can tell by short claws) lean meats and some veggies. They can only swallow under water so feed accordingly. Good luck with your new slider.

Awesome! He is going to keep her. He got a 50 gallon tank today & was thinking of a feeder tank of guppies. Is that ok for part of her diet?

Ya, but considering her size feeder comets would be better. Its fun to watch them chase then and then de-scale them before they eat them. My 2 red-ears loved them. Make sure she has somewhere to get out of the water and bask to completely dry out and prevent shell rot. Crickets are good food 2, and a full spectrum light (like people the need uv rays to make vit D). Need any more help fuul free to ask. I had my 2 red-ears for 7 and 6 years good luck with yours

That's more than likely not a red ear, but a eastern painted turtle. Not how it lacks the red ears, as well as the red on the legs. In fact, I'm positive it's not a slider. Please release the poor thing. It would need a 125 gallon or more to be happy, not a 55.

Freakgecko91 said:
That's more than likely not a red ear, but a eastern painted turtle. Not how it lacks the red ears, as well as the red on the legs. In fact, I'm positive it's not a slider. Please release the poor thing. It would need a 125 gallon or more to be happy, not a 55.

We found out he needed a tank that size researching this weekend. He is going to get one - cleared a big corner area of his place.

They found it at some huge apartment complex so releasing it there is scary.

Hey, i found a yellow bellied turtle last year, and me and my girlfriend decided to keep it. After some searching on 2ne hand market I found a suiting home. The turtle is like 11cm/4.3inches, and he lives in this tank which is sized 120cm/4foot x 50cm/1foot 8 inches. With 8inchs of water. Which im goin to upgrade after I fitted in the new basking island. If you like I can send you some photo's.

If you intend on keeping this turtle in an aquarium you will need a strong filter. A very strong filter. Turtles are about as messy as goldfish.

Thats a fact. I use one sized large enough to filter an aquarium that has the same size, but completely fillled with water, so i filter like 100 liter , while the tank easily can contain 350-400 liters (divide by 4.5 of you want American gallons)

Back
Top Bottom