Found couple of frys in the tank - help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaxBurne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a noob that just figured out how to setup the tank. After much waiting for proper water levels, I got couple of black mollies and couple of red wags. It was a fine week until this morning when I went to feed them. I discovered couple of little frys hiding next to plants / gravel.

after some research, I did notice that at random I ended up with a male / female couples on both sides. I was not planning on this.

I noticed that frys are getting eaten up, or are they? How do I protect the young ones? I feel bad to see them all eaten up.

Thanks
Max

Welcome to AA :)

You will need a breeder net or box to put the fry in, as the adults will eat them as soon as they can catch them.

You will need a ratio of 1m:2f or more to prevent harassment of the females.

And if you lose this batch of fry, don't worry, they will have more ;)

Welcome to AA :)

You will need a breeder net or box to put the fry in, as the adults will eat them as soon as they can catch them.

You will need a ratio of 1m:2f or more to prevent harassment of the females.

And if you lose this batch of fry, don't worry, they will have more ;)

Yes they will and its normally once a month or so

Thanks guys.

I guess, if I can't get over them getting eaten, I should plan on saving for a much larger tank :0

What is the normal practice? I know it is subjective, but what is the most common procedure in dealing with a new batch every month?

Wouldn't having two females to one male double the 'batch production'?

Thanks guys.

I guess, if I can't get over them getting eaten, I should plan on saving for a much larger tank :0

What is the normal practice? I know it is subjective, but what is the most common procedure in dealing with a new batch every month?

Nature if you don't wanna upgrade. The fry grow fairly slow but still nature is the best way. They provide excellent food source for fish

Thanks guys.

Yes it does double the 'batch production' but the male will harass the female to death if you don't get more. And then you wouldn't be having any batches.

Back
Top Bottom