Found driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMurrays

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it ok to put driftwood you found in a tank? I know we should soak it for several days until it sinks, and also to keep the water clear. We also found rocks, but I was thinking if we boiled them then they should be fine. Is that right?

I just hit the driftwood with the pressure washer(a stiff britsle brush will work here to) knocking all the loose stuff off, then toss it in a Rubbermaid garbage can filled with hot water for a couple of days to monitor the tannin levels.

I don't cook food so I'm surely not cooking rocks, just a light scrubbing to knock off loose dirt and toss them in.

I just hit the driftwood with the pressure washer(a stiff britsle brush will work here to) knocking all the loose stuff off, then toss it in a Rubbermaid garbage can filled with hot water for a couple of days to monitor the tannin levels.

I don't cook food so I'm surely not cooking rocks, just a light scrubbing to knock off loose dirt and toss them in.

Ye Hukit is right, no need to get bent outa shape with driftwood. All I did was wash all the loose dirt off, stuck it in a 5g bucket and poured hot water over it for a couple of days, then threw it in the tank. (not literally throw it in lol)

As for the rocks, I would test them with a few drops of vinegar first and if they make a sizzling noise and you should listen really carefully, then don't use them.

I've had a really bad experience with river rocks; I even did the vinegar test but didn't listen closely enough and they completely wiped out my 15 gallon tank, my bristlenose was the only survivor.

If they do pass the vinegar test, then don't boil them as there could be water inside them which will cause them to blow up, soaking them in warm/ hot water should be enough and if your worried then add a little bleach to the water but make sure to clean them thoroughly and leave them over night to dry, before adding to your tank :)

What do the rocks look like ?? U should post pictures :) we love pictures :)

We also like to follow your set up process... Like.. Everything :D

Back
Top Bottom