FOWLR Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Everywhere I've read says that the live rock in a FOWLR tank provides all (or most of) the biological filtration that is needed for the tank. I am about to embark on a 20G build, and have a HOB filter w/ a BioWheel. Will the wheel be needed at all, or can I rely on my properly cured live rock to handle the bioload?

I would pull the wheel, but run the actual filter. You can use it for media like GFO. I even run a sponge in mine that I clean weekly. Your rock will be the biological filter, and you can use your HOB for mechanical (if you want ) and chemical (carbon, GFO, etc)...

As long as you have enough rock the bio-wheel isn't needed. A skimmer isn't a bad idea if you plan on having more than two or three fish though. You can get by without one but they help keep the oxygen level high and some of the excess waste out.

I don't plan on more than 3 fish. What would a good amount of rock be? I've heard a pound per gallon, but 20lbs of rock would take up most of the tank (unless I use the Fiji rock from BRS, I suppose, which is denser than "normal" live rock).

The more porous the rock the better the filtration it provides. So 20lbs of Fiji might work as well as say 10-15lbs of pukani. But it's really your preference.

Back
Top Bottom