frag prop tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi all,

I am getting ready to do a bit of fragging and was thinking of using a 10 gal tank as a growout tank. I am going to build a tray for the frags and with the depth of the water, I figure I won't need a huge light. Would a 28 watt PC fixture be enough. I would like to find something cheaper but not sure what it would be.

Also, you think plumbing into my main system would be better than a stand alone w/ LR and/or filter? I think I would rather keep it separate.

Any ideaas?

I think as long as you are only keeping softies you should be fine. I just got luckly and bought a 20L with a 150W HQI and two VHO. off of another reefer. :D

I wouldn't recomend plumbing it into your main system for two reasons. 1. when you fraq corals you should really be running carbon to take out the toxins and 2 if you main tank crashes you will lose all of your frags as well.

Well, I am trying a large speciman container at the moment. I have it hung in the back and I have some egg crate in it with holes drilled in the container for water flow. I fragged some zoos, button polyps and anthelia this weekend.

BTW, do most people wear gloves when fragging? I have read that zoos have a pretty potent toxin.

ellisz said:
Well, I am trying a large speciman container at the moment. I have it hung in the back and I have some egg crate in it with holes drilled in the container for water flow. I fragged some zoos, button polyps and anthelia this weekend.

BTW, do most people wear gloves when fragging? I have read that zoos have a pretty potent toxin.

I never wear them, but many people do. I always wash my hands after I frag. They are toxic from what I've read more toxic then botchulism (spl?). I don't know who true that is though... I always run carbon after I frag them in my tank.

I actually removed some of them from the tank before I fragged. Some of my zoos are on big rocks so I had to do it in the tank.

ellisz said:
I actually removed some of them from the tank before I fragged. Some of my zoos are on big rocks so I had to do it in the tank.

Here is a quick pic of the frags I got. I still have a few more to do. I have a huge leather I need to frag. You think I could cut 2-3 branches off with no problems? These branches would just be tips really but they have a branch or 2 coming off of them as well.

Back
Top Bottom