Frantic guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 25l tank and only just got the fish yesterday - 4 male guppies and 4 neon tetras heated and filtered. I am just wondering why my male guppies are all darting around the tank up and downwards. I have experience with other fish because I also have a 60l tank also. Please help...

Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? If not the ammonia in the tank may be high resulting in the fish behaving erratically because of poor water quality.

Yes I did cycle the tank for a week before and tested the ammonia and none was present.

Is there cover like plants and rocks for the fish?
A picture of tank might help .
As for zero ammonia have you tested for nitrItes or nitrAtes ?
How do you test ,liquid , strips or store?

It's going to take longer than a week to cycle your tank, probably at the minimum, three.
Might be a good idea to change 15% to 20% of the water a day for a few weeks until things level out.
Your male guppies glass surfing behavior might be ammonia related, but more likely "reflection" related.

Ok the pet shop says a minimum of 3 days cycling! Should I do the water changes any more frequently than every week (that’s what I’d normally do anyway)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html
I suggest reading through a few of these articles about getting started. They are pretty helpful! Pet stores are notorious for telling people the wrong info about cycling.
Since you have fish, you will want to do a fish-in cycle. It can easily be done without hurting the fish. You already have a test kit so you are in good shape. The article explaining how to do it is in that link.
Without seeing the fish, it is hard to diagnose the behavior exactly. but,m a few options include not enough hiding places, getting adjusted to the new tank, establishing a social order between the fish, or ammonia agitation to name a few. Keep on top of testing the water and make sure there is plenty of decor in there for them to feel comfortable.
Bets of luck, feel free to ask any questions.

Is there cover like plants and rocks for the fish?
A picture of tank might help .
As for zero ammonia have you tested for nitrItes or nitrAtes ?
How do you test ,liquid , strips or store?

Here is a picture of my tank:

I have strips for ammonia but have run out of nitrate and nitrite ones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 162
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html
I suggest reading through a few of these articles about getting started. They are pretty helpful! Pet stores are notorious for telling people the wrong info about cycling.
Since you have fish, you will want to do a fish-in cycle. It can easily be done without hurting the fish. You already have a test kit so you are in good shape. The article explaining how to do it is in that link.
Without seeing the fish, it is hard to diagnose the behavior exactly. but,m a few options include not enough hiding places, getting adjusted to the new tank, establishing a social order between the fish, or ammonia agitation to name a few. Keep on top of testing the water and make sure there is plenty of decor in there for them to feel comfortable.
Bets of luck, feel free to ask any questions.
There is a picture of my tank above, thanks for your help!

When you say reflection related, the fish aren’t swimming frantically near the glass so it could be something else. Thanks for your help!

Just so you know, you will want the testers for all three stages of the ammonia cycle. The liquid kits are more accurate, but also a lot pricier. Just make sure to keep on top of testing.
That aquascape looks pretty good, at least for a starter.
Hopefully your guppies chill out.

Just so you know, you will want the testers for all three stages of the ammonia cycle. The liquid kits are more accurate, but also a lot pricier. Just make sure to keep on top of testing.
That aquascape looks pretty good, at least for a starter.
Hopefully your guppies chill out.

Yes I will keep on top of water testing and weekly water changes. Thanks for your help??

If you only "cycled" your tank for a week, it has not completed the cycle, especially if there was no source of ammonia present. If this is the case you will most likely need to do partial water changes (pwcs) more often than once a week. You should probably test the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every day/every other day, and do water changes as often as necessary. I strongly urge you to read these articles.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

If you only "cycled" your tank for a week, it has not completed the cycle, especially if there was no source of ammonia present. If this is the case you will most likely need to do partial water changes (pwcs) more often than once a week. You should probably test the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every day/every other day, and do water changes as often as necessary. I strongly urge you to read these articles.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
Thanks for your help I will read this articles and do more frequent water changes for the next few weeks.

How long have you had the lights on? Try turning them off. See if they settle down. Probably scared.let them get use to the tank for a day or two with the lights off. Then start feeding them with lights on. Go slow with them. Could be the water, but seeing your pic. Lights are on, and you just got them yesterday. They might need alittle time.

How long have you had the lights on? Try turning them off. See if they settle down. Probably scared.let them get use to the tank for a day or two with the lights off. Then start feeding them with lights on. Go slow with them. Could be the water, but seeing your pic. Lights are on, and you just got them yesterday. They might need alittle time.
Yes I agree I do have a sunlight timer so the light doesn’t come on suddenly every morning it’s on for 10 hours and fades in and out. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom