Freshwater > < Brackish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So as a starter aquarist owner, would you reccomend me to have 1 dwarf puffer in a freshwater 10 gallon tank by itself? I think they are cool too. And I read only a little so far on them and one owner said that he "By Luck" got a pufferfish that doesn't bother smaller tank mates. I forget what other fish was added in the tank. I think one was a figure 8 puffer. I would like a figure 8 puffer too because they are cool but dwarfs would do better in the 10. I hope you do well with the puffer. They must be fun to watch.

He is super fun to watch; he curves his tail like a rudder and rides the bubbles from my air stone lol. You can't even see his little fins flapping when he swims and he is super fast. The only thing that I have read consistantly that gets along with dwarf puffers are otos and other dwarf puffers. People test them out in community tanks and some succeed, some don't. Just like any other fish they all have different tempermants and personalities.

EDIT: Just thought I would throw in the fact that I am thinking about getting one or maybe two more puffers and a couple otos. I am getting the otos for sure once my tank is established with algae. I would like to get 2 more puffers that way I have a better chance of 2:1 female to male ratio, but I feel that 3 puffers and 2 otos would be pushing it.

This is my first fish as well. As long as your levels are good and stable you should be fine. They are definitely worth it! And it is fun to watch them hunt: YouTube - Dwarf puffer eating snail

This isn't mine but I watched him hunting brine shrimp and I can't wait to get him some snails! :cool:

If you can, could you keep me updated on your dwarf puffer so that I learn some more about them along with information that I find on other websites? It is possible to have two in the same tank but you would probably have to base it on luck of personality of the puffers.

I would love to keep you informed :D If you choose to get one I hope he does good for you! I am seriously thinking about getting two, I guess the worse that could happen is I have to get rid of one or get a tank divider. I'll probably just keep him and get like 3 otos. I am planning on heavily planting this tank, starting with fake plants and then hopefully slowly replacing them with real ones. I am just taking it one step at a time though. I am slowly getting more fake plants and he really like to hide in them. I took a couple pics. The left side of the tank plant wise is the crap I got when I got my tank, until I started doing research. The right side of the tank is what I plan on making the rest of it look like. The pink and green plants aren't too bad, but I am finding that I like the natural look much better. I might have to keep those, though, if Alejandro continues to like them.

Attachments

• DSCF8992.jpg
    DSCF8992.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF8994.jpg
    DSCF8994.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF89955.jpg
    DSCF89955.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 57
I think that rock in the first picture would be great for him to play with.

Back
Top Bottom