Freshwater Clam or Assassin Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've always been interested in Freshwater Clams and I've wondered if anyone on AA has ever kept them. Are they hardy or do they die easily? I'm also considering buying Assassin Snails to prevent a snail outbreak in my planted tank. Any info would be helpful!

I had a couple dozen freshwater clams, they only lived for a few months I don't think they had enough water circulation to be fed properly.
You need to he extremely careful with freshwater clams! They are illegal in most states because they are very invasive to lakes and rivers. Here in Utah we battle with them all the time in our lakes

I had a couple dozen freshwater clams, they only lived for a few months I don't think they had enough water circulation to be fed properly.
You need to he extremely careful with freshwater clams! They are illegal in most states because they are very invasive to lakes and rivers. Here in Utah we battle with them all the time in our lakes

Good to know... lol I was thinking of clams as well. Maybe not now. Haha

I opted for an Assassin Snail in our 6G Cyl Tank.

I was pulling 5-10 pond snails of varying sizes daily... so over that.

This is Sheldon
20130831_091935.jpg

That's awesome haha
What does he eat now that he's eaten his fill of other snails?

That's awesome haha
What does he eat now that he's eaten his fill of other snails?

Well the heard of pond snails keeps producing, I wonder if 1 assassin will ever catch up enough to affect his own food supply...

If I have to worry about what to feed him that will be a good problem to have :brows:

I've kept clams, but the longest any of them lived was 18 months or so. I think most species in the trade need cooler temperatures than most of us provide. And they don't clean water, as the stores so often claim.

Only a very mature tank will have even remotely enough micro fauna in the water column to keep them alive. The only way to be sure they are eating and growing is to weigh them every month or two on a sensitive scale.

I fed mine cultured green water and other fine foods that I feed my filter feeding shrimp and some of them did ok for awhile, even gained some weight. But eventually they died, from unknown causes.

If they die, and you don't have shrimp in the tank, they can make a mess of the water, spike ammonia. But shrimp will soon clean their shells out, and they find them very fast, as the breathing tubes are above the substrate. Snails will finish the clean up.

The only species I've seen any accounts about, that lived any length of time, were the Asian Golden clams..and they are not often seen. They can get to six inches or more, I believe. But they still need to be well fed, and it has to be food that's very very fine... essentially the size of bacteria or copepods and that type of thing. Microworms, are, I think, taken by them but are not a whole diet, unfortunately.

Overall, I don't think they make good pets, though I still like the look of them. But you should also know if they are healthy you won't be seeing much of them, because they dig into the substrate. Usually all that shows is the breathing/feeding tubes.. or perhaps part of the shoulder of the shell. Some species dig in at an angle, so you see part of them, but the small white/brown/black ones that are rather roundish, dig right in and vanish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom