Freshwater goblin goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyloRen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was at my local fish store today and they showed me a goby the guy said it was a goblin goby and told me it was a freshwater fish is there a goblin goby that is freshwater? The man told me it only gets to about 4 inches I was thinking about getting it but it sounds a little sketchy.

My LFS has had dragon gobies, but I've never heard of a goblin. Maybe he meant fw golden goby? I've read about those somewhere recently, but you could try doing an internet search for the goblin. If they exist, there's gotta be some info on them somewhere, I assume

Try to get the scientific name if you can. Common names vary by region and vary greatly. A lot of goby belong in salt or brackish water so be careful of that. Lfs doesn't always house them correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No it wasn't a golden goby i think those are saltwater right? It kind of look like this https://www.google.com/search?q=fw+...#tbm=isch&q=goblin+goby&imgrc=lJkStoZshf2EvM:

Yeah, I think you're kinda right. I found the article I was reading the other day here: http://www.fishchannel.com/aquarium-fish/5-freshwater-gobies.aspx

It says the true bumblebee goby is “highly tolerant” of freshwater, but the closely related golden banded goby is strictly brackish. Apparently both are sold as bumblebees though. I agree the scientific name would help. I can't find anything about giblin gobies, and that link you shared is a sea goblin which is strictly saltwater and I don't believe is a goby... If that's what the thing in the store looked like, and was indeed a freshwater fish, I'd really like to know what it is too! Lol

Well I went back to the store and found out it was actually a Butterfly Goby did some reading turns out its a brackish fish guess I'm not getting him D;

Not to mention that they sting like a wasp too.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah thats not much of a problem though, not like I go around petting my fishes or anything lol

Me either. How does a person know they won't have an allergic reaction? You don't til you get stung. Too dangerous imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Me either. How does a person know they won't have an allergic reaction? You don't til you get stung. Too dangerous imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Venom allergy right here, I knew better

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Epi-pen for the fishroom in case of anaphylaxis? Lol its not just for bee stings and peanut allergies. Explain that to the doc.

Brenna

I'm seriously debating about getting one now maybe a 10 gallon brackish with some mollies?

Back
Top Bottom