Freshwater guppy disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My gf recently set up a 55 gallon tank and had it cycle for roughly 6 weeks. To start we introduced 2 Platinum guppies, both of which seemed to be males. They got along fine, schooling for the first day. One was noticeably more active than the other and the less active one ended up dying by the next morning. We had come to the conclusion that he had gill flukes since water parameters were all good and while looking over it’s body thoroughly one could see tiny worms wiggling from around it’s face.

On this second day we added aquarium salt which was not used originally to help curb some affects and rule out other possibilities. In addition to the aquarium salt 4 more guppies were added to the tank. (5 living guppies in total for the 55 gal tank)

Day 3 went on well with everyone looking mostly happy minus one new male that wanted to harass a single female.

Day 4 and looking at our original plantinum guppy seems to have grown slightly lethargic either hanging out near the top or bottom of the tank, or near the heater, and not schooling. He ate this morning but a small bump was noticed on his upper lip. More aquarium salt was added to the tank (now at 5 tablespoons) to help curb the issue but I’m wondering if I should treat the tank with Ich-x or some other medication to save the little guy.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• FDB89C03-8F03-4624-9746-4ACA8A5AC6C8.jpg
    FDB89C03-8F03-4624-9746-4ACA8A5AC6C8.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 19
  • B399C7E6-345A-4BA8-B60D-3BE62969EBCE.jpg
    B399C7E6-345A-4BA8-B60D-3BE62969EBCE.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom