Freshwater stingray in aquaponics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmidty1216

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello all,

for a long time now i have been considering getting a freshwater stingray, my question is if i was to setup a large aquaponics system of 1000+ litres would i be able to house a stingray in here along with most likely other fish, the system will have a big enough footprint to house such a fish and yes it will be indoors and heated, now I'm just wondering will the stingray be ok in a system like this, would i need to add another form of filtration or add anything extra or is this just not plausible at all.
(most likely would be a motoro stingray)
Any advice or ideas is appreciated :) :thanks:

I think it could be possible, but sting rays require very high water quality with almost non detectable levels of ammonia nitrate or nitrate. I'm not sure if the aquaponics system could supply the mechanical and chemical filtration necessary to keep rays. I would recommend looking into large sumps, additional to the aquaponics system or very large canister filters. Either way having a extremely strong bacterial colony before hand will be very important. As for tank mates, sting rays tend to be quiet and keep to them selfs at the bottom of the tank usually, so higher dwelling fish would help, non aggressive as well. I personally have not had rays but have had close friends who have, so I do not know too much.

Back
Top Bottom