Freshwater tank additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

285matt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

We have a 30 gallon tank with plants that has 3 albino corys, 5 neon tetras, and a very chill betta. We are looking into other things to add in the future that help keep the tank clean(the reason we got the cory) and were told to look into black kulhi loaches and cherry shrimp. Do you have any recommendations? We were initially told to get both corys and a loach, but were only able to get the corys. Would that be a bit overkill in terms of tank cleaning? We have gravel, and a sponge filter so we are prepared for shrimp if we decide on them.

Of course the betta might eat the shrimp, but he is very nonaggressive.

Also, are there any other additions that would benefit the tank? A nerite snail? The tetras were our first addition and were just like a test run to make sure the tank was cycled(we knew it was according to test kits) and was able to handle fish. Our betta is just the typical red flowy betta. We want to kind of keep a theme of reds/whites/black and want to eventually add a chinese temple or something similar to it.

I would say it depends on whether you are wanting kulhi loaches because its a fish you want to keep or because you are looking for something to fulfill a role within the tank.

Khuli loaches and your corys pretty much will do the same job. And, your corys would benefit from a few of their own kind so adding 3 more would be my recommendation. They will group up better, be happier and more fun to watch.

Neither of these fish types are considered algae eaters (they might try if they are hungry), so if your tank has been established long enough and has enough biofilm/algae to support an algae eater that might be something you could consider. Shrimps, snails, perhaps a small breed of pleco or a small group of otos.

I would also up the numbers of neons. 6 minimum but a group of 10 to 12 would be better.

I would say it depends on whether you are wanting kulhi loaches because its a fish you want to keep or because you are looking for something to fulfill a role within the tank.

Khuli loaches and your corys pretty much will do the same job. And, your corys would benefit from a few of their own kind so adding 3 more would be my recommendation. They will group up better, be happier and more fun to watch.

Neither of these fish types are considered algae eaters (they might try if they are hungry), so if your tank has been established long enough and has enough biofilm/algae to support an algae eater that might be something you could consider. Shrimps, snails, perhaps a small breed of pleco or a small group of otos.

I would also up the numbers of neons. 6 minimum but a group of 10 to 12 would be better.
Thanks for the info! I'll up the tetras. Would I be able to add different tetra types, or should I just stick to neons?

I like to fulfil a role, but I'm interested in having a loach since it looks like a baby eel. I was told to avoid any type of loach that is Botia, which is why I mentioned Kuhli. I also thought the Loach would move around and dig into the gravel a bit more than the 3 Cory I have.

You recommend having 6 cory since I have 3 already? Am I able to add different types?

I don't think my tank is established long enough to support algae as I've never seen any. It has had plants in it for about 3 months and the fish for about 5 weeks.

Thanks for the info! I'll up the tetras. Would I be able to add different tetra types, or should I just stick to neons?

I like to fulfil a role, but I'm interested in having a loach since it looks like a baby eel. I was told to avoid any type of loach that is Botia, which is why I mentioned Kuhli. I also thought the Loach would move around and dig into the gravel a bit more than the 3 Cory I have.

You recommend having 6 cory since I have 3 already? Am I able to add different types?

I don't think my tank is established long enough to support algae as I've never seen any. It has had plants in it for about 3 months and the fish for about 5 weeks.
Im not trying to talk you out of kulhi loaches if thats what you want. There is no reason why you cant have kulhi loaches and corys together that im aware of, but of course every tank and every individual fish is different and what works for someone else may not for you.

I would recommend 6 minimum of any individual type of tetra, 10 would be better but its up to you. You arent limited to 1 type of tetra, i have 4 different types in 1 tank. If there is a sufficient number of an individual tetra type they will generally hang out together, but if not they will make the best of it and mix with other types of tetra. They will be happier with their own kind though.

Same goes for corys.

Im not trying to talk you out of kulhi loaches if thats what you want. There is no reason why you cant have kulhi loaches and corys together that im aware of, but of course every tank and every individual fish is different and what works for someone else may not for you.

I would recommend 6 minimum of any individual type of tetra, 10 would be better but its up to you. You arent limited to 1 type of tetra, i have 4 different types in 1 tank. If there is a sufficient number of an individual tetra type they will generally hang out together, but if not they will make the best of it and mix with other types of tetra. They will be happier with their own kind though.

Same goes for corys.
If you don't mind me asking, what type of tetras do you have? I like the neon ones, but they're a bit boring to look at in my opinion. I want to try and find some "unique" fish to put in the tank, but I'm limited to just the big box pet stores that probably only carry the same fish everywhere.

I think the albino cory look really cool and different, and my betta is red with little bits of purple which I think is pretty cool. Do you have any input on loach types? Are botia types bad to have? I'm very open to suggestions. The store had Kulhi on sale for 2$ each when I bought the Cory but unfortunately they were out.

Kuhlis do better in a sand substrate as they like to burrow so maybe just up the corries.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of tetras do you have? I like the neon ones, but they're a bit boring to look at in my opinion. I want to try and find some "unique" fish to put in the tank, but I'm limited to just the big box pet stores that probably only carry the same fish everywhere.

I think the albino cory look really cool and different, and my betta is red with little bits of purple which I think is pretty cool. Do you have any input on loach types? Are botia types bad to have? I'm very open to suggestions. The store had Kulhi on sale for 2$ each when I bought the Cory but unfortunately they were out.
Ive got cardinal tetras, red phantoms, black phantoms and silvertips. Nothing spectacular. The silvertips are very active swimmers and the males are a very cool orange colour.

What are you after? Something active? Something colourful? Both?

Ive got cardinal tetras, red phantoms, black phantoms and silvertips. Nothing spectacular. The silvertips are very active swimmers and the males are a very cool orange colour.

What are you after? Something active? Something colourful? Both?
The neons and betta are not really active, and the cory were very active for the first week but chilled out. So maybe something a bit more active would be good for the tank. I do really like the look of the red phantom, but it'll depend on what I can find.

We had a small 5 gallon with a betta but had to give it away since we moved. That guy was SUPER active, so this one is the exact opposite. Would the betta interact with a more active fish?

That being said, I do catch myself looking at the cory and betta more as they're much more colorful and interesting to look at than the neon tetras we have.

Are there any singular fish I can add that would do well?

The neons and betta are not really active, and the cory were very active for the first week but chilled out. So maybe something a bit more active would be good for the tank. I do really like the look of the red phantom, but it'll depend on what I can find.

We had a small 5 gallon with a betta but had to give it away since we moved. That guy was SUPER active, so this one is the exact opposite. Would the betta interact with a more active fish?

That being said, I do catch myself looking at the cory and betta more as they're much more colorful and interesting to look at than the neon tetras we have.

Are there any singular fish I can add that would do well?
Corys are super active, but you need a school of them. 3 isn't enough for them to be comfortable and exhibit their natural behaviour. Ive got about 20 and they are super fun, especially in the hour or 2 before the lights go out.

My opinion on red phantoms. They look nicer than black phantoms, but blacks are far more interesting to watch. I thought the reds would be like the blacks but with more colour. But, they are much more sedate, or maybe its just mine. Black phantoms come to life when the males compete for females and they have these mini fights. Nothing too aggresive, just establishing dominance.

Silvertips are the most active tetras ive kept. Almost as active as zebra danios.

Be aware that bettas are happier on their own. If you keep them with other fish its for your benefit, not the bettas.

Neons can be boring--especially in small numbers. The more you get the more active and flashy they become as they begin to school and shoal. Tetras of different breeds do not school together however so you need to add more neons before you consider adding others.

A male/female pair of gouramis are a nice addition with some very colorful breeds. They may chase the neons--not a bad thing as it encourages the schooling/shoaling behavior--but unless you have adult gouramis and baby neons they're very unlikely to be able to harm or eat them.

Back
Top Bottom