Freshwater to cichlid tank tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ababin64

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have an empty freshwater planted tank, but I was thinking about changing it to a cichlid tank. Any advice on how to do this? Do’s and dont’s?

What size tank you got? Any specific cichlids you're interested in? In my experience cichlids are pretty tough on plants. Mine were constantly floating due to being uprooted. Rock and wood is usually a common theme in cichlid tanks for a reason! :)

Don't mix lakes, that would be my suggestion. Research the different types and see what you like and their requirements. South Americans (my fav, geos), Mbuna, haps, etc.

If you want to keep your plants, research dwarf rams, and other small variety new worlds. If leaning towards Africans. The above listed advice is solid. With Africans, aquascape with a lot of rocks, preferably limestone. Be ready for an instant education in managing hyper cichlid aggression. Just provide a little more info towards what you're interested in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom