Freshwater Trivia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExoticAquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I though that since the saltwater trivia page has become so popular, I should start a Freshwater trivia. If anyone else has started one already, just say and I'll ask a mod to remove this. Question 1: What swordplant is commonly recommended for amazon biotopes but is rarely found in the Amazon river itself?

I though that since the saltwater trivia page has become so popular, I should start a Freshwater trivia. If anyone else has started one already, just say and I'll ask a mod to remove this. Question 1: What swordplant is commonly recommended for amazon biotopes but is rarely found in the Amazon river itself?

Bruh easy............Amazon Sword. Come on, make my brain hurt. My math teacher didn't do that for me today :)

Lol wanted to start easy! Rackin my brains... How many neon tetra species are there?

4 or 5 I guess? Lol ok that's a good one, only ones I know are long finned, giant, normal and fancy.

Species, not varieties. All of the ones you listed were Paracheirodon innessi. Sorta like saying a golden ram is a different fish than a German blue ram or a power blue gourami is a different fish than a dwarf gourami.

There are 4. The Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innessi), The Cardinal Tetra (P. axelrodi), The Green Neon (P. simulans), and 1 that is not in this hobby.

Thinking... You come up with one if you want. If you didn't specify and just said 4 or 5 you would've won lol!

Lolyes. Here's one: What are the 3 most recognisable and iconic tropical aquarium fish?

There are 4. The Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innessi), The Cardinal Tetra (P. axelrodi), The Green Neon (P. simulans), and 1 that is not in this hobby.

I think this question is a little misleading. Cardinals would not be considered neons as much as a Green neon, Black neon and regular neon would be. That's like saying all blue and red fish are neons. No? :whistle:

They are in the same genus Paracheirodon, or the true neon tetras. I don't mean the hobby names, I mean the actual species. It could've been much better worded though.

Thanks for the clarification (y) I didn't realize the Neons had been reclassified or are no longer referred to as Hyphessobrycon innesi.

That's because I am old and have old books and information. ;) :lol:
For example, in the book "Handbook of tropical aquarium fishes" copyright 1971, page 220, lists the neon as Hyphessobrycon innesi. In the Encyclopedia of aquarium fish, copyright 1974, it lists the neon as Hyphessobrycon (Paracheirodon ) innesi. I have no idea when "they" ( whomever "they" are ) dropped the Hyphessobrycon.

Hope this helps (y)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom