Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XFlounder

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys I'm new to the site. My 40 gallon aquarium has had a bad ich infestation.. ultimately I treated with chems and lost all the fish.. tank has been empty now for 2 days no fish with 25 percent water changes and gravel cleaning with a temp of 88 degrees.. I removed all plants and decor.. is it safe for me to bring water temp back down and add fish once again? I read ich cannot survive on plants if they were removed and completely dry since they are synthetic that's what I did.. thanks

I believe racing the temp as you did will speed up the life process of the ich. I'd wait a few more days for the ich to reach the swimming phase and then die out.

Add your fish slowly over a period of time. Ich is often caused by stress. Also, make sure you add a little food to the tank to keep the bacteria going in your filter media.

I believe racing the temp as you did will speed up the life process of the ich. I'd wait a few more days for the ich to reach the swimming phase and then die out.

Add your fish slowly over a period of time. Ich is often caused by stress. Also, make sure you add a little food to the tank to keep the bacteria going in your filter media.

Ok thank you, I'll give it a few more days. Just have the itch but I want to be sure it was gone. I fought it for about 7 days prior to emptying tank. Thank you for the advice about food. I wasn't even thinking about that.

Also - if you added medicine for the ich, it might have killed off your beneficial bacteria and you could go through another cycling process and since there has been nothing in the tank to provide ammonia for the bacteria for two days. I'm not sure how many days the bacteria can go without an ammonia source?...

Back
Top Bottom