Friends for my betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamW74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I'm new to keeping fish and new to the forum.

I've had my betta just over a month, I also have a couple of snails (which he's fine with). However when I've added neon tetras & shrimp he seems to attack them. I'd like to get him company can anyone recommend anything in particular please??

Any advice greatly appreciated,
Thanks, Sam ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406681377.927125.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

P.S. The tank I have is 22 litres!

Hi

I've had my betta just over a month, I also have a couple of snails (which he's fine with). However when I've added neon tetras & shrimp he seems to attack them. I'd like to get him company can anyone recommend anything in particular please??

Thanks, Sam View attachment 244857

what kind of tetras? How big of a tank?

We have several male betta fish, most are in 10gallon tank, we have white cloud minnows in two, and black light tetras in one. We even have ghost shrimp in one and they have done fine. The betta will flare his gills at them from time to time but never has hurt any of them. I think the key is hiding places and plenty of plants. I think it also depends on the bettas personality. Good luck!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, that certainly gives me food for thought??

@ mattyfelts

It's a 22 litre tank & neon tetras !

Hi

Thanks, Sam View attachment 244857

Beautiful betta! Just an FYI too but that plant he's nestled up against does not look like an aquatic one.

It depends on your particular fish. Some will tolerate tankmates, others will not. Mine can't get along with anyone so he's by himself. Others have had luck with neon tetras and cory catfish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a male betta, I got him first and then bought a 36gal and added molly's, platy's and neon's. He gets along with all my fish and seems quite happy to have the company!

The older the betta and the longer it's been kept on its own, the higher the probability that they won't tolerate tankmates. If your guy has been used to ruling the entire tank, he'll see newcomers as intruders and attack, even if you rearrange the tank or put him in a new tank entirely.

Betts fish can do well with other fish, you'll just need to make sure the other fish don't have long fins, the fish will attack and bite at the others fins.

Back
Top Bottom