Fungus Unlike Anything I've Ever Seen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itmaryyytho

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently I noticed a couple of my angelfish had gotten fin rot, we (my mom and I) started treating for the fin rot then we noticed one fish had a white spot that appeared to be some kind of fungus on his side. The fin rot seems to be getting better and we started treating the tank for fungus but this fungus is spreading to my other fish and has killed two of my angels and doesn't seem to be affecting my other fish yet. Whats odd about this fungus is that it gets under the scales of the fish and leaves a hole in the side of the fish. Does anyone know what is going through my tank and how I can treat it?

I agree with King Fisher, the problem described sounds like Columnaris, a very bad bacteria.
Columnaris seldom has a happy ending. If you have a seperate hospital tank, remove the obviously infected fish and medicate with an antibiotic. Don't get your hopes up. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who has successfully cured a fish with a true case of Columnaris.
IMO, your goal should be to save the apparently unaffected tankmates. I'd do a large 50% WC, asap. Keep a close watch on the survivors and be prepared to remove a sick fish at first sign.
One of the big reasons Columnaris is almost impossible to heal is that it starts inside the fish. By the time the exterior symptoms are seen the lethal internal damage has already occured.

Back
Top Bottom