funny hermitcrab like creature in xmas tree rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twilyte

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently acquired a xmas tree rock.. and in one of the holes there is actually a small crab, it looks like a hermit crab with very feathery antennae which it occasionally scrapes stuff off of with its claws and feeds itself. what on earth is it?:p when i put my hand in, he pops back into the hole. hes really cute but does neone got an idea of what is he:p

maybe distantly related to the porcelain crab, but i doubt it is an anenome crab in any way; it lives INSIDE of the xmas tree rock, in an abandoned xmas tree work hole. even if i wanted to get rid of him, he'd just jump back into his hole-- he never leaves his hole, like a hermit never leaves his shell(unless to change shells i suppose). he has a very hermit crabesque appearance, and obviously a filter feeder of some type (i have a porcelain crab, the only similarities they harbor is being in the same subphylum and having filter feeding apparatus; i dont know enough about the little xmas rock crab to say anything more)

Do a google search for Gall crab. If the body of the critter is long and narrow like a hermit, it could possibley be that. They will typically burrow in scleractinians.

Cheers
Steve

looks nothin like that.. you cant even see its body; its like i said, a hermit crab like creature.. ill upload a pic i took. but my camera kinda sucks..:(

this is him..kinda blurry but basically thats him in his hole, and hes got very feathery antennae or wha tlook like antennae which he occasionally scrapes with his claws to pull food off of, i'd imagine.

Attachments

• unid.jpg
    unid.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 231
Back
Top Bottom