Funny squishy thing on rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fcastrofilippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I just bought some live rock and there is a funny squishy brown thing on one of the smaller pieces. I have not yet put it in my tank. I am just starting out. I bought 60lbs of base rock and 20lbs of live rock. I have a 75 gal. No fish yet. I am starting to cycle the tank this weekend with the live rock.

What should I do with this rock. I put it in a buckett with saltwater. Should I scrape it off or is it some type of mushroom that I should keep?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

We'd need a pic to know for sure, but it sounds like a sponge to me. Since sponges will eventually rot from the inside out if exposed to air for even the time it takes to transfer containers, I don't think your hitchhiker is gonna make it and will pollute your tank when it dies. I would scrape it off if I were you, but if you post a picture, someone may be able to identify it as something else and advise you to keep it.

I agree, since you are cycling the tank with LR (shipped I assume?) it might not make it. If it is a sponge it may come back, not too sure what will happen if it is a shroom.

tube worm? or tube worm skeleton? i'd say just leave it in the water all the time just in case its a sponge, cause you don't want it exposed to air.

hope it's something cool! one of my favorite things is finding interesting hitchhikers on my rock.

Back
Top Bottom