Future Betta Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michbit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the Aquarium scene, but I have been lurking an learning for the past two months. I have started setting up a new 5 gallon tank for what I hope will be home to a betta fish, but I’m having trouble finding a balance for the water. I bought driftwood and almond leaves to try to lower my hardness of my water because it was showing very hard on my test strips.(Chicagoland area water) Tannins made my water darker which I actually don’t mind I’ve also read it’s more like the water bettas are naturally found it, but now my kh has dropped a lot. Ph is still neutral at around 7.2 but I’m not sure if this will be safe for a betta. Any advice? Do I get rid of the drift wood and just buy distilled water to mix with the tap water to lower hardness?

hello your betta should be fine with the wood in the tank .they like the PH to be between 7 and 8 .

Thank you! Have you ever purchased bettas online? I’m trying to decide if I want to rescue a petco or Walmart betta or get one online

Yes I have ,from Walmart and rescue is the right word for it. I had 3 all
In The 1 1/2 gallon little LEDs tanks that they sell there . I put a peace of cardboard between the tank so they would not see each other. The males will stay flaired up until they stree their self out to death .

Yes I have ,from Walmart and rescue is the right word for it. I had 3 all
In The 1 1/2 gallon little LEDs tanks that they sell there . I put a peace of cardboard between the tank so they would not see each other. The males will stay flaired up until they stree their self out to death .

Dude bettas need more than a shared 1.5 gallon tank.
This lady has the right idea getting a 5g for a single betta.
I also "rescue" mine from petsmart (walmarts in canada don't sell fish). You can find do.e really pretty males but I find the females have less trouble swimming and have more personality.

Back
Top Bottom