Fw forum name shortening??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huma-huma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Know this may sound dumb, but is there anyway someone could possibly shorten the fw forum names?? Anyone on the mobile forums has to either 1) learn the place of each forum or 2) click on wach one till they find the right one. May be a small thing but im sure im not the only one annoyed by it. I included a pic to show what i mean.

Attachments

• image-1367640350.jpg
    image-1367640350.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 84
I have the same problem. When I have two tabs up and one is in FW and Brackish General Discussion and the other is in FW and Brackish Getting Started, the two tabs both say "Freshwater & Brackish-Ge..."

absolutangel04 said:
If you turn your phone on its side, you will see more of the titles.

Ill be the first to admit that i didnt even think of this, but in the same sense it may get a bit tiresome having to turn my phone sideways to read forum names. Also what of someone cant turn there phone sideways??

The forum apps are setup for convenience to supplement the full site. If you are having trouble understanding or seeing the full descriptive forum titles I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the full site before accessing the abbreviated on the go version.

But to the members that dont have steady access to the full site, the mobile app isnt a supplement. Im just voicing my opinion in that for us mobile users, its annoying to not be able to differentiate the fw forums.
As for buying an Android, been there, done that (3x) and will NEVER own another android junkphone again

But to the members that dont have steady access to the full site, the mobile app isnt a supplement. Im just voicing my opinion in that for us mobile users, its annoying to not be able to differentiate the fw forums.
As for buying an Android, been there, done that (3x) and will NEVER own another android junkphone again
JMO, but you need to recognize that the app isn't, wasn't, and to my knowledge won't be a replacement/subsitute for the site. The app was only created to give members the ability to browse the site while away from their computer. Numerous features are unavailable on the app. Changing the names of the sub-forums to keep someone from having to turn their phone sideways is kind of a silly notion IMO.

The point i was trying to make was completely missed. This is why i get so upset with this site sometimes. Some people dont have an option of using either the full site or the mobile app, if a site is gonna pay to have an app created, why create an ok app, and ignore suggestions when you could make it better? Instead i get a "just deal with it, we arent changing it." the mods and admins of this site prob dot realize just how many members are strictly app users. Now if it was the members choice then yeah they have to deal with some sacrifices, but there are some of us that dont have that choice. Guess i just wont participate in the fw section anymore

huma-huma said:
The point i was trying to make was completely missed. This is why i get so upset with this site sometimes. Some people dont have an option of using either the full site or the mobile app, if a site is gonna pay to have an app created, why create an ok app, and ignore suggestions when you could make it better? Instead i get a "just deal with it, we arent changing it." the mods and admins of this site prob dot realize just how many members are strictly app users. Now if it was the members choice then yeah they have to deal with some sacrifices, but there are some of us that dont have that choice. Guess i just wont participate in the fw section anymore

I personally never use the site and think the app is easier to navigate then the site. I'm always confused by the site I think it's rather unintuitive but I love love love the app. It is hard to read the labels sometimes but that's cause your on a 3.5inch phone so I guess we just have I deal with that lol but I see what your saying I've thought the same thing before so it's not totally unreasonable :)

if a site is gonna pay to have an app created, why create an ok app, and ignore suggestions when you could make it better?

I always thought it was really gracious of the forum to create the app in the first place. I watch my husband get all frustrated trying to use his apps on his phone and I just don't see why someone would want to put themselves through that. He does the sideways thing all the time to be able to fully utilize many different apps. Get a "real" computer and call it a day. Easier on your thumbs, too. ;)

It isn't an unreasonable request and we thank you for bringing it up.

What we are trying to explain is we have the forum setup to be viewed on a full size computer. The app is an added feature, not meant to be stand alone. It is based on a 3rd party platform (forum runner) and we have little control over the look and feel of the app.

And, we know exactly how much traffic is from mobile devices and from computers. It is public knowledge and can be viewed by anyone. It is roughly 20% of the overall traffic. It wouldn't make sense to make changes based on only 1 out of 5 folks using the app vs. a computer.

I use the app all the time, i personally hate the site. It makes no sence to me, and the only time i ever use it is once a month when i have to delete pictures to make more room, and even that is confusing. I dont see the problem with making suggestions to better the app, i am with huma-huma. Even if you arent going to take his advice, at least make those who give suggestions feel like they are being listened to, rather then shutting them down.

Sorry that you all hate the site. I personally like it quite a bit and have for a number of years.

Unfortunately for you in this case it is the predominant method by which we receive traffic and especially content.

Again, suggestions are appreciated but we have to look at what makes sense in the big picture, not just the add on mobile application.

Saying that we are all unreasonable and don't listen is quite the presumption based on a single suggestion that didn't get accepted. We make changes to the content and organization of the forum all the time and often from user suggestions - but not every suggestion is feasible and practical, and we weigh those decisions carefully and subjectively. We are driving a ship here, not a go kart, so changes will often be slow and deliberate.

huma-huma said:
Know this may sound dumb, but is there anyway someone could possibly shorten the fw forum names?? Anyone on the mobile forums has to either 1) learn the place of each forum or 2) click on wach one till they find the right one. May be a small thing but im sure im not the only one annoyed by it. I included a pic to show what i mean.

All I have to do is turn my phone sideways... :) I have the iPhone4.. At first I was like dang.. Which one was which.. Then I realized I could turn my phone..'felt like an idiot.. Hah.

I think the original point was made and it is a good one. Unfortunately this threads general tone has gone negative maybe one of the mods should just close it cause I feel as though we are all beating a dead horse at this point lol. Have a good day everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom