Galaxy rasbora breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatic_Adam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a school of 8 CPDs and I want to try to breed them. I will state this now. I don't believe anyone should own CPDs unless you are trying to propagate them. I was wondering if anyone has tried this? I found online that the fish need to be removed after spawning because the males are highly predacious of the young. What parameters have people been successful with? I know they need a species breeding tank.

Use an egg trap. I've used one and it works well. My friend Dennis did a writeup on it at his site.

DIY Egg Trap

I heard their natural habitat was endangered but then I also read that they were mistaken and there is a wider range for them than thought before, so idk. It does take some bit of skill/equipment to breed them out, I currently have a dozen or so in a tub outside and am trying the natural method. I did see a few fry a few weeks ago, but have not been in their tank for anything extensive since.
best of luck.

Thank you! That will definitely be helpful. Did you have a species tank for them or does this eliminate the need for that? Currently they are in a 10 gallon planted with one sparkling gourami, 3 corydoras Habrosus and 3 kuhli loaches.

it doesn't have to be a species tank if you use an egg trap, but you may or may not get them into breeding mood if they feel threatened by any particular tankmates. Mine did fine in a tank with shrimp, I did not try in any other tanks.

Ok. Good. Were your galaxys active because mine seem pretty hesitant and hide a lot. Granted this is their third or fourth day in the tank...

Back
Top Bottom