Gaping clam....please please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok...so I placed the clam one week ago and after a day or so, I noticed that it started expanding its mantle less and less. I couldn't figure out what the problem was because its under the same exact lights and tank parameters are fine. I noticed that it started developing pinched mantle pretty bad because of the stress it was under. However it was still very responsive to running my hand over the tank. I did a freshwater dip and changed out my carbon and her mantle immediately looked better within 2 hours. That's when I noticed that one of my peppermints was bothering pestering her.....BAD. So I placed her in the sump and ran to walmart to buy a blueberry crate to protect her. The second i put her back in the tank, the one shrimp went right for her, but after 10 minutes of frustration, he gave up. I loved watching it. :)

Yesterday morning she definitely looked much better than the previous day's but she didn't look that way all day. As he day progressed, her mantle started to curl just a bit as it looked before, but not nearly as bad. Now, her in siphon is gaping pretty bad this morning, but her mantle looks better. I've been doing everything possible to try and help her...up until 1-2 every night testing and checking. I have to admit that I'm pretty frustrated at this point. Everything else in the tank is doing excellent.

Is this the normal process of her healing from the pinched mantle? Any idea why she is gaping in the morning? Help please!!!

Parameters are as follows:

Trates 5
Calcium 410
Alk 7.7
Ph. 8.2
Temp. 79
Ammonia is 0 of course

Tank has been up and running for 7+ yrs.
115lbs of live rock in DT and 15 lbs in fuge.
Sand substrate

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423411028.144285.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can't really see anything from the picture, but if the peppermints were after it it is most likely past the point of no return. If the clam was a week into the tank, it was most likely dying when you purchased it.

Well that is a theory, but the mantle is fully extended today and although the int siphon is still large.....she looks waaaay better than she did 3 days before pre dip/protection, so I'm not giving up on her.

With all due respect sniper, Do you have any suggestions other then it's on "its way out", because I'm not sure that's the case. While I do NOT have experience with clams, i know what it looks like when aquarium life makes a turn for the better.

....unless clams are that unpredictable, which they may be. I dont know, but bottom line....I'm not giving up.

anything I can do to try and help this clam pull through??

Honestly if it's gaping with the lights on, hanks most likely right. Gaping is the biggest sign of a clam being unhealthy IME.
And yes, clams can be that un predictable.

I have a thing for clams. There is also a reason my reef is currently clam free. I've killed more maxima than I can count and my derasa, which is one of the easiest to keep, took a turn for the worse and never recovered even after a freshwater dip and running carbon. There is always holding out hope...but it is my experience that once they go under there isn't any turning back.

Back
Top Bottom