GBR with hole in the head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So today I notice a couple of white spots on my GBR and it doesn't really look like ich to me. He has this like white indent on his head next to his eye and on white spot on his rear fin. Anyone know what this is and how to help? Thanks in advance here are some pics.

image-1964560211.jpg

image-2724946043.jpg

image-399185256.jpg

I have no experience with infections and it's hard to tell by your pics, have you read about collumnaris?

I just looked that up it doesn't seem like what he has but I'll keep any eye out to see of he worsens.

Head and Lateral Line Errosion(HLLE) is common in south and central american cichlids, this is normally caused by exposure to high nitrates/poor overall water confitions over time and a poor quality diet.

What are your current tank parameters?
What are you feeding?

I checked about 3 days ago and had 0 ammo. 0 trites and about 40 trates so I did about a 70% change but haven't checked params yet will check as soon as I get home. I feed a combination of hikari cichlid pellets and some flakes.

What are your average nitrate readings?

With regards to the food most Hikari except for Bio-Gold is fairly low end, I would recommend switching to New Life Spectrum Thera exclusively.

Treating HLLE is a long road but it can be done, the pits don't look very deep so as long the problem is corrected the fish will heal.

The other possible issue can be Hexamita which not always present in HLLE cases is Hexamita, These flagellates can interfere in vitamin absorption leading to HLLE. This would need to be treated by Metrozoidale dosed at 250mg per 10g of tank water. Hex also shows other symptoms such as stringy white fecal matter, lethargy, and shrunken body over time. This is a possible cause of HLLE but is not treated the same.

So overall I'd be doing daily 50% water changes, feeding a high quality pellet like NLS, remove any carbon that removed trace elements and you should start seeing improvement in a few weeks.

Could I still use the medication you recommended in conjunction with your other suggestions or just in case. I'm running a bio wheel filtering this tank. I have one filter pad that is more than a month old in there do the carbon shouldn't be active any more but I just added a second filter pad. I was previously just running the one pad. Also if I do use the medication will it have any affect on my plants, snails, and shrimp?

Just asked the wife who is at home I am feeding NLS pellets, not hikari.

Unless your seeing some of the symptoms I listed for hexamita then I would not treat with any medication.

I would be doing the daily water changes and removing any carbon in the filter system. If your using the pads with carbon in them, just slit them down the back and remove the carbon.

Last edited:
Yeah he looks really healthy I think he's fine. Maybe he just got hurt on something?

I thought the same thing he's as bright as ever and swimming and playing like nothing's wrong. I'll do what you suggested and look for improvements. Thank you for your help.

Ok do today he started acting a little lethargic and he has like clear whitesh poop so I think I will start treating for hexamita

Back
Top Bottom