Gentle guidance for neophyte, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter gets a kick out of seeing the tiny Astraea at one of the LFSs - do I want to avoid having them in my tank, or would it be OK to see if I could acquire a couple?

So, speedy reproduction isn't something I need be concerned about, then? Super.

She'll be thrilled, and I can thank you :)

Check into Caribbean Rock Anemones - colors and prices are crazy different from 8.99 to 99.99+. I have a couple recent additions and think they are neat and I can't find much to not like about them for a lower light set up. Basically I am a noob and still learning. I dream of a kind of tank I could keep a Mandarin or pair in...

This was the 8.99 one which I love (-20% discount).
60074-albums14227-picture68716.jpg

the 9.99 one (-20% disc.)

Here it is in the center top down shot in the tank after it was acclimated and dropped in, kinda slipped out into the middle of things after sticking its foot on the bag. But you can see the white color a little better.

60074-albums14227-picture68788.jpg

This is after he got seated into a hole in the rock, blends in and looks like a rock. If you search images, you can see really beautifully colored one which cost more...

60074-albums14227-picture68786.jpg

Not sure how long you would need to wait for one of these, but I absolutely enjoy watching and love this guy. Feed Macro Algae and now starting some seaweed sheet chunks which he will immediately grab and start munching. Collector Urchin aka Halloween Urchin, they can be different colors.

60074-albums13960-picture68572.jpg

This is a funny pic of him carrying around the Fern and Grape Caulerpa which after a few days he ate ALL of it in one night except 2.5 "leaves" of the fern.
60074-albums13960-picture68390.jpg

He also sucks off the algae on the suction cup a couple times now already.

60074-albums14227-picture68711.jpg

If I follow the advice from some of the seasoned pros I have received (thank you again), I have 6-12 months to do my research, so your input is super helpful!

If nothing else, doing salt water "right" is an exercise in patience.

Pros - can I add my cleaner crew now, or would it be prudent to wait for them as well? I am thinking about possibly looking at adding fish this week or next...

One other question - I have reasonable quality city water and a friend with a RO/DI system, so they have been supplying me with water so far, but I would like to get my own (of course). Any recommendations?

I saw one for $75, but it seems far too cheap - I was expecting to pay at least double that...

Yes to the CUC anytime you want.
And BRS(Bulk Reef Supply)has great choices on RO/DI systems, from basic to bells and whistles!

Define dirty water?
XX nitrates?
Or unstable new tank type water?
Or unkept?
My nem split into two last fall(7 years old then) and that water is any thing but dirty!

Dirty as in soft coral, fish only tank dirty. Not new tank unstable, changes water weekly 20%

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Stay away from mandarin unless u are willing to either dose pods, raise them in sump, or they are trained to eat other foods.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Regarding the Astraea I asked about earlier, I guess timing is everything... I found a little 3 legged guy on the glass today.

My daughter has fallen in love. She is 9 and is disabled (she has had 3 strokes)... she declared the 3 legged star fish "just like me - good enough".

Makes a mom choke up.

Thanks to all of you for your guidance. Our tank has a few new residents now.

We have a pair of clown fish (true percula) and an orange spotted goby, as well as 10 bumble bee snails. My daughter was thrilled to find another Asterina star this morning (again with 3 legs, but definitely not the same one as the first discovery).

I am hoping to get a royal gramma this evening to add to the "family".

A couple of questions - 1) I was told that a cardinal fish might also be a good addition, yea or nay? And 2) I was offered a small Kenya tree for the tank - is this something I should consider or avoid?

Thanks in advance - you are all awesome :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430407050.370061.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430407072.553907.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430407101.889480.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430407123.390856.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430407177.572694.jpg

Take the Kenya if you can (and it is free or cheap).
They are really simple and fun to start with.
I would do only 1 cardinal if you wanted as they be mean to each other(like fresh water angels).
Glad to hear you and daughter are enjoying(most important part,along with responsibility).

I did take the Kenya (at my favourite price - free) and have added 3 peppermint shrimp. I saw a little bristle worm today - hopefully it doesn't cause too much fuss.

I went by one of the LFSs today, and their display tanks are FULL of aiptasia. I just about choked.

So - I know where I am NOT getting stock...

One question (yes, another one :) )... I know about aiptasia and mojano anemones, but a friend told me that another one to worry about is Tulip anemones. Is this something I really need to learn to identify as well, or are they less common/less invasive?

Thanks in advance.

See, that is what is confusing me, Hank - I have probably read as many articles that say they are as troublesome as majano as that say they are not (as long as you are not working hard with corals).

Agh... Opinions. The internet is so full of them masquerading as fact.

Well, I hope I don't have to deal with any parasitic anemones any more - then it is all academic.

I wouldn't worry about it. And if you like something from the LFS that has covered tanks in aiptasia...if it isn't overwhelmed you can easily manage that stuff.

Ok, perhaps I am misreading you, but are you saying that these anemones aren't the massive issue that some make them out to be? Perhaps I don't need to flip out after all?

Because I am so new to marine aquaculture, I am just so afraid to do it "wrong" and ruin everything.

Right now, literally within hours of introducing the peppermint shrimp, one has disappeared. However, I see an empty carapace - what is the chance it molted after being introduced and is in hiding while its new carapace hardens?

Ahh - I am too emotionally invested in this!

Stressed out and caused to molt. Not uncommon. Hiding until it isn't fish food.

As for glass anemones, they are what you make them. They are easily managed with aiptasia-x, for example. I've had several pop up in my tank and I managed them and have no issues. I'm not saying get a piece of live rock from their tanks covered in them, I'm saying you can get a healthy fish from them if you know what to look for and even coral if you have the means to manage a pest if it shows up.

Back
Top Bottom