German blue ram 50g tank mate ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TabiLove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I'm planning on starting my first tank within the next couple of weeks. Hopefully a 50 gallon. I've been doing research for weeks, and I think I've finally decided I want to get a couple of German blue rams. But I can't decided what to put in there with them, and I've found a lot of varied information. I know they need to be in an established tank as well, so I'll probably get them last.
I really want some eye catching fish and/or creatures, and I plan on keeping live plants.
So basically I'm wondering if any of you have personal experience with the rams, and what mates have worked well, and quantities of fish that would go well in that size tank.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could go with any sort of tetra, or rasbora, danio, and with having live plants they'll also help keep your nitrate level in check as they naturally absorb nitrates. Your options are endless, especially if you look into schooling fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could go with any sort of tetra, or rasbora, danio, and with having live plants they'll also help keep your nitrate level in check as they naturally absorb nitrates. Your options are endless, especially if you look into schooling fish

Not really any sort. GBRs need a minimum of 80 F, with 82-84 being optimal. That rules out many species.

Cardinals work well, as do Rummys. Sterbai Cory is one of the few that will tolerate low 80s. Hatchets will tolerate those temps as well.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What about bloodfin or bleeding heart tetra? I'm planning on doing a similar setup in the future, and was hoping to add a school of one (or maybe both) of those. I'm getting a range of 72-78 F for the bleeding heart, and 72-82 for the bloodfin

Bloodfins may work in the low 80s, but I don't know about Bleeding Hearts.

People who keep discus in the mid-80s routinely keep Cardinals and Rummys. Those and Marbled Hatchets are probably most compatible in terms of water parameters with GBRs.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I like the hatchets, those were actually one of my top picks, and Cory's, I really wanted pandas but I think they need cooler water. I don't care for cardinals, but maybe some rummy's.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom