German blue ram help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Icd1227

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a new aquarium, but using a filter from my current aquarium which already has well established beneficial bacterial colonies. I would love to have a german blue ram, they're so beautiful. The issue I have is with pH levels. My pH comes out of the tap with about a 7.6 pH level, the tank is going to be planted and I intend to have drift wood and dirt. What would you suggest I do to lower ph levels. Open to all.suggestions, thanks.

Peat is sometimes used and drift wood can also help. I also know that many keep their GBRs at a pH as high as 7.8, so you may be fine as long as the fish are properly acclimated. Otherwise there is no simple solution.

It depends on if you want them to breed or not. Using leaf litter like Indian Almond Leaves aids in lower pH, the decaying leafs give food for micro fauna that fry can feed on, and the leaves themselves give a structure for Rams to lay their eggs on. Peat in the filter gives a great pH lower substitute that doesn't affect the layout of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom