German Blue Ram Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PockX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We never have any GBRs in my area so I picked up a healthy looking pair today. I was just wondering if a 10 Gal would work for a pair. I know a 20 gal + is recommend, but I doubt I could do anything bigger at this. Also, what substrate is best? I have flat rocks for egg laying too. What is the best temp for them to breed (82-84* I heard, or is that just to spawn the eggs)? Thanks!

We never have any GBRs in my area so I picked up a healthy looking pair today. I was just wondering if a 10 Gal would work for a pair. I know a 20 gal + is recommend, but I doubt I could do anything bigger at this. Also, what substrate is best? I have flat rocks for egg laying too. What is the best temp for them to breed (82-84* I heard, or is that just to spawn the eggs)? Thanks!

A 20 gal is recommended but it is possible to keep a pair in a 10 gal if they have no tank mates and you have a consistent water change schedule that keeps parameters in check.

Gravel or sand will work as substrate. I keep my tank with GBR's at 80-82. They haven't spawned yet but I'm hoping they will anytime soon!

That's what I figured I would do. I really wanna breed these guys and have been looking for them for awhile now.

Best of luck to you! :p you should let me know if when or if yours do!

I will! Ill keep you updated.

Here's a pic of mine doing "the ram stare" lol

image-2262133067.jpg

I'm glad to read this.. I have a couple questions (don't want to hijack though :lol: )
Can you keep an apisto pair in a 10 gal? Also, does anyone know where you can get proven pairs of rams or apistos?

They usually pair off as juvies but even still can pair off later. Mine have been following each other side by side all night so far. I hope I got lucky and picked the right ones..I stared at the tank for awhile making sure I had a male and female and even tought the girl working how to identify them and made sure I had the best ones.

I was worried myself, I have also heard of people never having any trouble with them pairing and that they always do. So I'm hoping if I just put them both in a 10 gal by themselves there really isn't any outside sources that can effect their breeding.:p

Does anyone know if they usually use a stone to lay the eggs or do they borrow and make a nest in the substrate? I heard they can do both. Also..how many times do they typically breed per each pair?

Mine bred in a crater once and then on slate. They breed almost every Thursday.Lol!
I'm watching mine hatch right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom