German Blue Rams Spawned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clare

Aquarium Advice Activist
OMG - not only do I have another spawn of baby albino long fin bn plecs to deal with but now I have just checked my heavily planted 10G with a pair of German Blue Rams in it and they have spawned as well - seems like a hundred of the little fry swimming in a group an they are protecting them from the itty bitty celestial danios they share the tank with .... I am definitely going to need a bigger grow out tank :) they are so small I cannot get a decent pic of them....they just look like dust in the water....but I have attached one anyway.

Seriously, I have no experience with these guys - any advice to grow them out?
Thanks tons for all the continuing help....

Clare

LOL sorry they are so itty bitty tiny - like fleas here's the pic - good luck seeing them - will have to wait til they get a bit older!

Very cool! Congrats! If you have another tank available and you want to maximize the fry you raise, I'd suggest moving the male in the next day or so. The females are usually ok with their fry. We usually let nature take it's course on any first spawns and then pull fry or parents from future spawns. Matter of choice really. Good luck with all the babies! :)

Thanks - this is the rams' first spawn and they seem to be keeping good track of their little ones all over the tank. Guess feeding them is my main concern - I have decided to move them when they get a little bigger into the grow out tank with the pleco babies....by then half of the older spawn of plecs should be at the LFS. I have decided to grow out the new plec spawn in the 40G where they will hatch in a few days LOL When it rains it pours!!!

Suggestions for feeding the ram fry???? BBS seem bigger than them LOL

Thanks, me too! I am so excited about them - I also have video of them now - how can I upload it ?

If you post it to a site like Photobucket or Picasa and then link it here, it should work.

As far as foods go, you can try BBS, decapsulated brine eggs, microworms, vinegar eels, fry bites, or well crushed flake. It shouldn't be long before they are readily accepting BBS.

looks great! Amazing. i cant believe it. i want to breeed fish for a living so im checking outall the breeding threads i can.

My best survival rates with rams has been using green water culture/infusoria to feed the newborn fry. They are so tiny. Hopefully the parents keep them alive, mine never did, after a few days they'd all be gone. Although this could also be because I never inoculated a large tank with greenwater or infusoria. Powdered foods also work, but not as well from my experience. Powdered boiled egg yolk is a good one, or if you use crushed flakes/pellets, soak them in water a little bit and stir them up to make a slurry, most foods are too big for newborn ram fry to eat, including bbs and even adult microworms.

Thanks to everyone for your feeding advice - I got some BBS and some first bites and we shall see if they take anything - my LFS guy said that I should try to remove them within the next day or so as their parent swill start to pick them off now that they are free swimming....so this afternoon I gently guided about 15 or so of them into a jar I held under water and then floated it in my grow out tank filled with baby plecos & took about a long time acclimating them....it seems to have worked and the tiny rams are free swimming amongst the plecos now :) Left some in the in the orig 10G with the parents to see how it goes.. Will post again in a week or so - oh, and here's a link to a Youtube video of them that I shot earlier today....THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!

VID00039 - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom