German Blue Rams Spawning. Have ????s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B Phishin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sooo, about a month ago I decided to start tank. On 10-18-11 was my first day. I let my tank cycle for over 2 weeks to get the proper water balance and bacteria build up. So, this past Sunday (the 30th), I introduced 2 german blue rams (GBR's) and a nickle-sized firemouth. And unbelievably (less than 96 hours later), after some dancing rituals by the GBR couple, and a very intense, pink, underbelly, that the female acquired, I witnessed the female lay approximatly 50-100 eggs (hard to count bc of how tiny they are) on a limestone slab, as the male swam over sideways and fertilized the eggs with his 'mojo lovin.' Over the last 48 hours, the male has protected the eggs approx 75 percent of the time.. Switching off briefly during eating or protecting they're eggs when the firemouth (who has not much interest) approaches. The pair actually fend off the firemouth with ease (they aren't too aggressive too eachother, esp as young juveniles), but vice-versa when the rams approach the firemout in his claimed cave. The firemouth just flares out his throat and the GBR's confidently swim off. Anyways, noticed today there are less eggs, and witnessed the couple pecking at the eggs.. didnt know if this was them eating the eggs (which I heard is common, especially in first spawnings) or if they were mouth-brooders)? I don't think this first batch of eggs is going to make it, but I'm eager to find out what could happen with the proper care, patiennce and techniques for successful breeding of these GBR's. If I wanted these new-born GBR's to survive and grow, what is the best method/process to follow? What do I feed the microscopic new borns? Should I let the parents raise them on their own? Should I be worried about the firemouth (not sure what could take place when the lights go out)?? What about my pH level and water temperature?? Been drinkin on some DogFish 90 Minute I.P.A.'s and feeling open for opinions and advice! haha Thanks for listening to my blabbing.. This has just become too fun and interesting in a short amount of time. Please give me some advice

How big is the tank?

Do you know your exact water parameters? Ammona/NitrIte/NitrAte
The reason I ask the question above is because you said " I let my tank cycle for over 2 weeks to get the proper water balance and bacteria build up". Typically takes much longer without any seeding material and when people say this (USUALLY) they don't really completely understand what cycling is. It's not just about putting a tank together and letting it run.

pH prefer soft (5.5-6.5 pH) water and increasing the temp can help to. 80ish.

I've read that if you continue to see the GBR's eating their eggs, it can be a bad sign.

Thanks for the reply. I just joined this an hour ago, so this is all kinda new to me. I have a 29 gallon tank, a 150 and 100 penguin bio-wheel, 50 lbs of play sand, that I thoroughly rinsed and strained, 9 slabs of limestone and black slate to create caves, and a piece of malaysian drifwood. My definition of cycling I guess, means cleaning and changing the filter cartidges bc they got built up with sand quick in the first week and using clarifier to make it uncloudy as almost all of the sand settled. I did this a lot in the first 10 days. My pH level is around 7.4 to 7.8, my temperature has been approx 76-78 degrees F, but i dont know about my nitrate levels. I have put the appropriate amount of Prime to detoxify the nitro, nitrates, ammonia, and chlorine, plus some bc i haven't heard of fish overdosing from Prime (or at least not that I know of). About the egg-eating... I heard it's pretty natural for a pair to do that, especially when introduced to a new tank, or within their first few spawnings. Then, supposively their mates for life and only become better parents and take care of their young in a more proper manner as they mature. what do you think man? What could I do for future successful breeding? thanks

I honestly couldnt believe they became a couple so quickly. Wild stuff. I think most people add fish quickly when starting a tank, but I think my 15 days of patience and just looking at an empty tank with artificial plants and a beautiful sand bottom had to pay off a little bc my firemouth and 2 gbr's seem to be compatable fish tank mates. Co

I need some advice and recommendations for the future of my fish (young, juveniles).. much appreciated.. holler back por favor

Wow, you are so lucky!, I bought some juveniles from the LFS and ended up with NO females so I have no first hand experience with the GBR behaviour, however, I have read that most any other fish will eat the eggs of other fish if they can't protect them all the time. I lost lots of angelfish babies to the parents and anything else that could get to them. I have read that sometimes parents eat the first few broods/eggs and eventually figure it out. I know for sure that GBR like it pretty warm, I keep my tank at 82F and warmer water should increase breeding IMO and from experience with the angelfish. My pH is around 6.8 and I think the rams like it a little below 7, but if yours are breeding, seems like they're happy! About the future fry, with my angles I had to isolate the fry until they were big enough to survive with the other fish in my tank and to do that I used a breeder box once they were free swimming and just caught all I could. I hatched brine shrimp (bbs) and fed the fry that and a "powder" food called "my first food" or something like that and they did well. I'm sure you'll get much more detailed and better advice from more experienced people here, but I get a little excited to share! Sorry for the book and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom