Getting rid of seed shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my shrimp tank set up for a few motnhs. All is going well my group of 8 is about 20+ now after two maybe even three birthings. I have really been enjoying it but recently I have noticed these little round bugs that are specs. I am thinking they are either seed shrimp or copepods based off some reading i have done. I tend to notice them on the glass and the plants and they are varying sizes but the dicription of movement matches those two types. I am not sure which one they are exactly. Anywhay their numbers are getting quite big. What can I do to get rid of them? They are the only pesty type thing in the tank. I don't think I am overfeeding as I feed in a dish and remove it and rinse any uneatten food after about 8 hours. I also do a water change once a week and vaccuum everywhere i can (some places I cant get to due to plants)

So how do I get rid of the little critters lol?

They are Daphnia or some other form of copepod, I have them in my shrimp tanks a well. I have not noticed any ill effects from them being in the tanks. I like you feed in a dish and I am pretty OCD about my weekly water changes so like you said it can't be from a dirty environment.

As far as I can tell the only way to get rid of them is to start the tank over from scratch.

Agree with Mogurako.

I have them in my shrimp tank and they're harmless .. If not a bit unsightly when they all bunch on the glass. However, as I understand it, they are a good sign of good water quality.

About two weeks ago I had a bit of an RCS die-off after some rescaping and during that time I saw one or two pods. Now, they're back to their pre rescape numbers.

After a bit of checking around I have concluded that: having pods is a sign of good water quality and an established system.

Also yes I have had pods with and with out a HOB filter.

I'm culturing daphnia I thought if I put them into my fish tank they would get sucked up the filter.

I have seed shrimp. They don't do much. Some fish will eat them. I just leave them be. They kinda come and go.

I take a brine shrimp net and scoop out as many seed shrimp as I can out of my shrimp tank. I use them as food in my nursery tanks. It's a win win situation.

I'm culturing daphnia I thought if I put them into my fish tank they would get sucked up the filter.

Yes they (daphnia) would get sucked up in the filter. Not sure if a sponge prefilter would help here; maybe.

I also have seed shrimp in a moderately planted tank with lots of moss and a dozen tetras and danios. They usually hang around the moss and gravel and usually get eaten when they swim in open water. I view them as free fish food. If this was a shrimp only tank, then I'd view them as part of the micro/macro scopic tank fauna.

Hi I have these seed shrimp also. What fish can I add to my tank to keep the population down. I have red cherry shrimp and some white could fish in the tank. What fish will feast on them with out harming the shrimp?

Thanks

Not sure. Sometimes they are ignored because they are small. Now I've seen them get large. Large as a sesame seed found on the bun of a Big Mac. Now that would get some attention.
You could always try to siphon them out during water changes. They might be an indicator of how much you are feeding the fish (too much perhaps).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Firstly id like to point out that this thread was started in April of 2013, please refrain from dredging up old threads.

Like I mentioned before seed shrimp are a sign of a healthy system and pose no threat to any of the inhabitants. They can be a bit unsightly however.

You already have white clouds in the tank, those are fish last time I checked ;-) . The adult white clouds and any of their fry will quickly gobble up the seed shrimp and should hopefully provide adequate distraction to keep the baby cherries from being eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom