Getting rid of this Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solidsnakejv

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i've been dealing with this stuff for about three weeks now. It seems that everytime i physically remove it it comes back a few days later. i don't mind taking out physically, but everytime i do, some sand comes with it which i am concerned about. Is there are particular snail, crab, etc. that would take care of it.

I have two skunk shrimp, about 10 nassaraus snails, 20 astreas, about 15 hermits and four emeral crabs.

90 gallons.

Attachments

• Algae.JPG
    Algae.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 108
  • Algae Two.JPG
    Algae Two.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 80
that, my friend, is cyanobacteria. evil evil stuff. I had it in my tank, and nothing would eat it. Nothing I tried got rid of it. Eventually I had to use a chemical treatment as a last resort to kill it. I know, everyone will say it's a band-aid solution, but it worked for me. Hasn't come back for months

I have actually had great success with a combination of the last two posts. You for sure need to eliminate the source of nutrients that it is feeding on. But even after that i have found that cyano will to grow just more slowly and in smaller patches. So i like to take out the nutrients for a couple weeks with water changes and less food, then finish it off with a chemical remover to get rid of the last traces.

Back
Top Bottom