Getting shrimp good / bad or stay with fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeepman99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 Otto in my 29 gallon tank and 2 in my 10 gallon tank. They aren't able to keep up with the glass algae. Plants look awesome. I was thinking about getting Amano shrimp and nerite snails for for the 29 gallon tank to help with the algae. I have been trying to get the lighting time frame right. I had left for work and accidentally left the lights on for 2 days straight.

I live in northern WI it was 13F today with a low of -9F overnight. Do I even try to order shrimp? If so where do I get them without breaking the bank?

Should I use a magic eraser and scrub the glass?

I can't find Amano shrimp anywhere within 3 hours from me. I am scheduled to go to Milwaukee for work for a week. I was thinking of buying them there and bringing them home. (4 hour car ride) Will they handle the trip with no aeration? Do I buy a battery operated aerator for them on the way home?

Magic erasers are magic :)

Yes, they can be mailed over night, or a couple days, they can go in a car for 4 hours. Insulated bag like for groceries or lunch use a brown sac paper or plastic or anything to make it kinda dark for them to be calmer. Mind their temp: not too close to the heater vent in the car, not left in the freezing car for supper.

Do lots of 40-50% pwc over a couple weeks, keep the lights to a min. or break up photo period/lights on, then a couple hours off and back on to keep the plants happy and the algae irritated. Try dosing Excel for a few weeks as per bottle directions. Its a mess when you leave those lights on for days, I know.

Back
Top Bottom