Getting started with Chiclids??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robynleigh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thought I'd come say hello - I'm Robyn and I'm dreaming of blue dolphins...

What do I need/need to do to have happy healthy blue dolphins?

The tank I am planning on using is a 3ft tank - it's the biggest I can go at the moment, how many do you think I could keep happily and safely in it??

ANY advice would be awesome as this is a big step for me from guppies - a dream come true and I don't want to screw it up :)

Edit to add I will be getting a larger tank in the future for them - this is just to start me off, I am aware they grow quite large, the ones I am looking at getting locally are only 2-3cms in length at the moment.

No one??

Anyway - I am trying to figure out an easy way to get the tank cycling quicker once it's rebuilt - I read that if you add filter media to an already cycled tank it speeds this up?? And I heard there is a product quick start or something along the lines?? Do they work??

I'm def not an expert on cichlids but... I've heard no smaller than a 55 g for full cichlid set up, old filter media will drastically cut down cycle time, shouldn't need any other additives aside from prime when using established filter media..

I'm no expert on African cichlids but from what I understand blue dolphins get quite large and you may need longer than a four foot tank. It's generally not a good idea to buy large fish with plans to upgrade in the future unless you are absolutely sure you will be upgrading soon. Often times people don't end up getting a larger tank and end up having to rehome the fish. You would probably need to upgrade the tank size in a year or less, cichlids can get pretty aggressive in cramped quarters. I had to put five 2" South American cichlids in a 37g for a week until my 90g was ready and all the did was fight, and they are a peaceful species.

Oh I'll absolutely be upgrading - there is no discussion on that - 6ft-8ft will be the next tank they go in, this is just a starting point - then the guppies will be moved into this tank..

Perfect sounds like a good start then! Hopefully someone who knows more about the species will pipe in soon here. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom