Getting started with CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

I got a Milwaukee MA957 for my b-day and was wondering what's the next step to get it up and running? I assume I need a tank, but does anyone know what else I'll need and what I need to do to get it up and running? Links are fine.

thanks in advance,
Nate

Hey Jibboo, I'm nearing the end of my break-in period for the exact same regulator, and have tons of helpful information in the thread titled "I've jumped over teh planted tank fence" in the planted tank forums. You'll probably be able to learn a lot about what to do and what NOT to do in there.

I had some issues w/ a clogged needle valve that Milwauke quickly and cheaply (FREE!) fixed for me. I also had an incident where I turned the CO2 up WAY too high and killed 4 fish so watch out for that.

The only other things you'll need to get started are a filled tank, some tubing, and some method of diffusion.

clippard.com for tubing
ebay for a glass diffuser

oh forgot to mention ... I have a diffusor from my previous DIY yeast CO2 attempts

Red Sea CO2 Reactor 500
CO2 Reactor 500 | CO2 Systems | CO2 Equipment | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

The MA957 also came with some tubing ... so I'm assuming its CO2 safe.

Thanks for the info. I currently have a Current USA Satellite 2x 65w cf for lighting. And currently I have way too much java fern which has been growing for a couple years. The thing that I'm really hoping to do is to not have so much dead plant material clogging my twin AquaClear 300s. I'm constantly having to clean them out (once a week or every other week) because they get so clogged they go down to a trickle.

My well water's ph hovers around 7.5-7.8 ... so I think I have plenty of room to get some co2 dispersed.

I've got all the normal water parameter test kits (although they are probably old ... I haven't tested my water, nor lost any fish, in well over a year now) ... so everything is going well.

Thanks for the thread, I'm going to check it out to see what else I can learn.

55g_tank.jpg

Last edited:
Tank looks good. One thing you'll want to keep an eye on when you start injecting CO2 is your water level. Since you're running HOB filters, when the water level gets low (like in your pic) the surface disturbance from the filters will cause your CO2 to offgas, and not stay in your tank. With CO2 injected systems, you want to try to minimize surface turbulance to sustain your CO2 levels.

Wouldn't consider it heavily, maybe on the low side of medium. The plants that you currently have aren't fast growers or heavy feeders, so even though there's quite a few, the burden isn't that high.

The addition of the CO2 and the lighting that you have, however, is going to greatly open the options you have should you want to work towards a heavily planted tank. Doing so, however, you would want to research fertilizers as well to gain the full benefit of the equipment you have.

yeah, that's the plan ... Java Fern is nice and all, but I'd really like to have some of the variety that I tried before and couldn't keep. I tried with all the ferts and light before, but stuff never lasted ... I figured either the ph was too high or not enough co2 ... I'm banking on the not enough co2.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom