Getting Started with plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteWidow11

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I wanted something other than rock in my african tank, so to experiment I have 1 java fern in the tank. Also, I want to grow some algae to give my tank a more natural look since the rocks are mismatched and brand new.

For lighting I have a 48" 4 bulb T12 40W fixture. Its got a big heavy ballast with two switches on it. For bulbs right now are two white saltwater bulbs and 2 actinic. I like what the actinic does for colors, so I want to change the other two bulbs and use something to boost algae growth on rocks and to keep the java growing. I think it would be safe to assume whoever gave me this fixture used it for saltwater.

I was looking at the GE Daylight bulbs, they are around 6500k, my roomate says don't buy into the branded stuff, he uses these bulbs with sucess on his frog racks and many plants in his tanks. 2 bulbs for 6$ at local home depot.

Thank you for the help!

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium

WhiteWidow11 said:
So I wanted something other than rock in my african tank, so to experiment I have 1 java fern in the tank. Also, I want to grow some algae to give my tank a more natural look since the rocks are mismatched and brand new.

For lighting I have a 48" 4 bulb T12 40W fixture. Its got a big heavy ballast with two switches on it. For bulbs right now are two white saltwater bulbs and 2 actinic. I like what the actinic does for colors, so I want to change the other two bulbs and use something to boost algae growth on rocks and to keep the java growing. I think it would be safe to assume whoever gave me this fixture used it for saltwater.

I was looking at the GE Daylight bulbs, they are around 6500k, my roomate says don't buy into the branded stuff, he uses these bulbs with sucess on his frog racks and many plants in his tanks. 2 bulbs for 6$ at local home depot.

Thank you for the help!

Java Moss on your rocks, cover them with hair nets loosely to give the moss time to grab the rock/grow and soon you won't even see the nets. Worked great on my lava rock :).

IMO the GE bulbs will work great and at $6 for a pair, that's a good deal I'm going to look into too. Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

He has stopped using all reptile/aquarium bulbs and hasn't had any issues so far. Mostly uses the GE reveal I think and philips makes one too. He has about 15 tanks all healthy with plants, I'm gonna give it a go!

Would the cichlids prefer to eat algae off the rocks or java moss? I'm trying to give them something to forage on when they way. Here's what my tank looks like now. I feel bad I took all the good rocks out, my pleco probly upset too lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110402_140526.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110402_140526.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 58
WhiteWidow11 said:
He has stopped using all reptile/aquarium bulbs and hasn't had any issues so far. Mostly uses the GE reveal I think and philips makes one too. He has about 15 tanks all healthy with plants, I'm gonna give it a go!

Would the cichlids prefer to eat algae off the rocks or java moss? I'm trying to give them something to forage on when they way. Here's what my tank looks like now. I feel bad I took all the good rocks out, my pleco probly upset too lol

Sorry, I can't speak for what cichlids would like and didn't realize you were talking about that much rock lol. So would you just let the algae build up?

Maybe look into what they like in the way of live plants, or in my case my Moors like to munch on Moss Balls, but they can get pricey.

Mr. Limpet said:
Sorry, I can't speak for what cichlids would like and didn't realize you were talking about that much rock lol. So would you just let the algae build up?

Maybe look into what they like in the way of live plants, or in my case my Moors like to munch on Moss Balls, but they can get pricey.

Plant wise I read cichlids will just destroy most of them or dig them up. I read java fern can make it in brackish water, and cichlids don't like them.

Yeah my type of cichlids graze algae from the rocks all day, so I just wanted the algae to build up on the rocks like it has in the past. I guess I'm impatient and like to watch them forage, so I want tp help the algae come back. I definatelly added a ton of rock, no more aggression issues!

Here is what I'm trying to say, I just want to encourage all rocks to look like this.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110402_144530.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110402_144530.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 61
WhiteWidow11 said:
Here is what I'm trying to say, I just want to encourage all rocks to look like this.

Can you increase the lights on time, or maybe add some Seachem Flourish to promote the algae growth?

Funny, since most try to discourage algae lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
Can you increase the lights on time, or maybe add some Seachem Flourish to promote the algae growth?

Funny, since most try to discourage algae lol.

I know lol.

I'm getting this redish algae too, maybe from my hard water and saltwater lighting? Is that the corline algae?

I will add some flourish as I wanted to get some nutrients for the java fern in the water too. Can't hurt right?

WhiteWidow11 said:
I know lol.

I'm getting this redish algae too, maybe from my hard water and saltwater lighting? Is that the corline algae?

I will add some flourish as I wanted to get some nutrients for the java fern in the water too. Can't hurt right?

That's all I use (Excel version) and for the short time I've been trying it the plants seem to like it, plus my algae is out of control lol. Of course I just went from .5wpg to 2.5wpg so I can't be sure.

Ok so all I can say is that its BRIGHT! Almost too bright to get a pic with my cellphone. I am seeing details in my fish I never saw before. And with the 6500k in there now, I think my algae growth should speed up alot.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110402_195750.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110402_195750.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom