Ghost Shrimp: dying or molting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennkp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have about 26 ghost shrimp in. My 30 gallon tank. Ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 & nitrates are 5ppm. I've never kept them before & I noticed one of the larger ones had spots I guess you could say all over near his joints & then he turned an opaque color about 2-3 days ago. Well I noticed another larger one doing the same. Are they molting or dying? I don't know if you can see the "spots" from the picture.

Attachments

• image-1548307181.jpg
    image-1548307181.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 241
You will see the molt because it is almost like they shed their outer shell like snakes do. However, I have noticed that while all of my levels are zero as well, after my shrimp molt they always tend to just disappear.

Some grosties ive had in the past have had whitish dots. Its just their coloring as not all are 100 percent clear. Looks like a nice healthy shrimp to me...

You will see the molt because it is almost like they shed their outer shell like snakes do. However, I have noticed that while all of my levels are zero as well, after my shrimp molt they always tend to just disappear.

IME, my ghost shrimp also hide for at least for 1 day after they have molted. Also, I noticed, when my shrimp seem to tuck/stretch their tail/back-end I noticed they are the one who is molting next.

I noticed the first one walked around with his tail elevated a lot more. He is still that opaque milky color but he seems pretty happy. He swims, scavenged, & climbs up the aquarium & decorations still. The one in the picture like to hang out in that tree a lot. He hasn't changed colors so he's doing good I guess. If the other dies I'll let you know. They were 10 for $2 but the employee just scooped them up & we left with about 30.

So bad news big boy died. I kept looking for an exoskeleton but instead found the second picture this morning. I thought the Cory was going to eat him or the shark but its like the Cory & the other ghosties have been morning his death. They were just hanging out by him & if other fish got close they pinched at them.

Attachments

• image-2640184983.jpg
    image-2640184983.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 215
  • image-3586399281.jpg
    image-3586399281.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 234
It's okay! Apparently one of the pregnant ones we brought home had her babies & we didn't notice. While cleaning earlier this little tiny one crawled out of the tiki hut. I thought they'd all been eaten! It's hard to see it though.

Attachments

• image-3263762398.jpg
    image-3263762398.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 228
Aww!!! I had a berried one not long ago, now i have 11 walking babies!! And she is saddled again.

Back
Top Bottom