Ghost shrimp opaque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie86

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my ghost shrimps body is opaque. The other 5+ are clear and this one has been this way since I got them...I have had them for about 1 month...it is still active and eating...is it something to worry about? Is it trying to molt and not able to? Is there anything I can do?

It is in a 20g tall, temp 78°, ph 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10. I do a 25% pwc every 3 days, tank mates are 6 or so ghost shrimp, 4 guppies, 6 platys, a 1.5" bn pleco, and an apple snail.

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

Attachments

• 1436807963514.jpg
    1436807963514.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 98
Usually it seems they are at the end of their life span, for what ever reason. If it dies, dispose of the body and try not to let the shrimp eat it just in case it has some malady.

This doesn't really explain the cures but was good to read and review. You can look for cures, if you might know what it has.

In general I wouldn't worry too much if it stays with this one and doesn't seem to progress to the others.

Also consider the higher temps of summer cause bacteria to multiple faster. So more bacterial infestions pop up. Your parameters are great as well as your pwc schedule. But if anyone else reads this keep up on the regular pwc and don't over feed.

Are you feeding a food specifically for crustaceans, Hikari has Crab Cuisine, and Shrimp Cuisine, Then there are numerous high quality foods available which have minerals for the shell growth/molting and health too, which is very important of course.

One thing I just read about is Beta glucan, you can google it, but it is found in whole oats like the old fashioned ones used for oatmeal (i would say not quick oats) and people feed oats to their shrimp as a supplement, and I guess they like them. I am going to learn more about that.

Recognising shrimp diseases and reacting in time - Nano Aquatics - JBL

That is helpful. ..thanks... I figured it wasn't contagious since it was isolated to the one shrimp. I didn't even think of old age...I should have because its the biggest one in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: So she is still turning white...it is not spreading to my other shrimp so I am leaning towards "muscle necrosis" she is still eating well and is very active. You can see how dark she is next to my other shrimp.

Attachments

• 1437714568689.jpg
    1437714568689.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 1437714587315.jpg
    1437714587315.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 1437714732824.jpg
    1437714732824.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 70
Its in a 20g tall with about 6 other ghost shrimp 4 guppies, a 1 1/2" bn pleco, and 6 platys. It has been this way since I got it about 2 months ago. Still very active and eating well.

Strictly ghost shrimp tanks...cost like 5/$1...probably meant for food.

Well then, probably not long for this world. As you might have guessed I was wondering if maybe some other kind of shrimp got in with the rest of the Ghost Shrimp. It could be a mutation but I haven't really seen shrimp other than dead ones that color. No offense intended.

None taken at all...I read the link posted earlier and it really sounds like the muscle necrosis, been checking daily to see if it died but more than 30days later its still kicking.

Back
Top Bottom