Ghost shrimp turning colors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilverBlaze85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys.

Got a male betta in a 2.5gal tank, with 4 ghost shrimp on clean-up duty. I've had ghost shrimp before, but they never lasted long in the 40-gal community tank (I figure some of the other fish got a little hungry).

I was kinda surprised when I went to feed them all today, and the shrimp are turning more opaque and a light golden-brown color.

Any clues on this?

What are you feeding them? Could it be what they are eating is "projecting" through their body making them appear more opaque and brown? What are your params? Do you have pictures?

Don't have pictures; I took some, but my computer isn't recognizing the SD card, and is trying to format it. I've been fighting with it since. >.< The parameters I haven't tested (Tank's being drained and replenished with drinking water 2x a week since it's so tiny).

I'm feeding the betta Hikari Betta bio-gold bites, and the shrimp are eating what's falling to the marbles. It's not just by their organs, it's their tails as well. It's kinda weird. I did drop in a quarter of an algae wafer tonight, because they were actually swimming up to get the betta pellets off the top of the water, so I think they were a little hungry. Is Hikari known for causing this? (I've just always used it for my bettas because every one I've owned seems to really enjoy it.)

I did have pictures, but my comp isn't recognizing the SD card right now, so I'll keep fighting to try to post them. I'm feeding the betta Hikari Bio-Gold betta pellets; the shrimp have been cleaning up what falls to the bottom. I did feed the shrimp a quarter of an algae wafer tonight, since they were swimming to the top to pluck food off the surface. I figured they were hungry.

Is Hikari known for that? I feed it because all of my bettas have always really liked it.

I haven't tested parameters yet; the tank is drained and replenished with drinking water twice a week, since it's so small.

@GrimmGoby Dude, I don't mind. I'm just curious why...I can't be the only one it's happened to, yeah? What I've found online says they don't turn colors except to camouflage, but my 'gravel' (flat bottomed glass marbles) is black and a dark, dark cobalt blue. Golden-brown doesn't exactly camo well....they're more noticeable now. I'm sure pink is the same way!

Although, from experience in cooking, my brain goes "Pink shrimp means they're cook!" *gulps*

Maybe they are getting ready to molt? Does your Betta ever nip at them? I'm sorry...I'm trying!! Lol...it's hard to think at 1am, and I have no idea about the pink! Are you feeding blood worms?! Oyi, brain over load!! Haha

*laughs* No worries, I completely understand! My betta doesn't really bother them much. He'll flare at them if they're up on the filter intake or the plants, but as long as they're down on the 'gravel', he ignores them (he also flares at me, and the bubbles in the water, and the plants, and the cat, and the light, and the walls, and sometimes at nothing I can see...he's weird.).

I have -no- clue about molting... I got them almost a week ago at the LFS. They're about an inch big; she fished them out of planted tanks for me, because they were out of the feeders.

I really do appreciate you trying to help! ^_^

Well I just did I short read up, and ghost shrimp turn an orange-ish pink when dead because "they contain carotenes like krill"

Attachments

• image-1716019816.jpg
    image-1716019816.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 181
I realize you coulda just done the same thing...but I have ghost shrimp too, and have never experienced what you guys are dealing with...I wonder if it's cuz my apistos like to play "hunt for the see-through toy" little brats...

cuz my apistos like to play "hunt for the see-through toy" little brats...

hehehehe. That's too funny. All the tanks I've ever had, everyone's been very peaceful, except for my pleco. Bugger was mean and nasty. I don't doubt the ghost shrimp in my big 40 gal got eaten at night, but there was never any aggression while I was watching. ^_^

And they say fish don't have personalities! :p

Hahaha the silly little boogers give me the puppy eyes when I'm watching...but as soon as I turn away...then there's another opaque white carcass, but I think it's kinda fun for them...so I restock...after all they are only $.30! Call me heartless...

just to let u know! bumping is illegal on AA. (i made the same mistake at the beginning)

:hide:

Thanks...didn't know that. I know on most other forums it's acceptable, especially if it's been more than 24 hours and there's been no reply to it. *makes a note it's not allowed here*

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom