Ghost shrimp white?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kj287

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all!
So I just got shrimp for the first time. I’ve got 10 ghost shrimp in an established 5 gallon tank. Literally just got home with them, got them acclimated and in the tank, and noticed one of the shrimp is bigger than the rest plus most of it’s body is white rather than clear.

It’s moving around like crazy just like the rest of them, eating and what not. Appears to be acting perfectly fine.

So what are some reasons it could be white? Did they give me a sick one? Should I take it back out and quarantine it from the rest of them even though it’s acting okay right now? I’ve heard they can look different when they’re getting ready to molt, could it just be that since it’s a little bigger than the rest?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Just a little bigger? They might have given you an amano shrimp by mistake or it could just be a regular ghost shrimp. The thing about ghost shrimp is that they are not just 1 species. If you see what looks like a dead shrimp it could have just molted.
Either way I don't think they sold you a sick shrimp.

I managed to get a picture if that helps!
It’s not much bigger, most are about 1 inch or slightly smaller, while this one and one other look almost 1 1/2inch.

And you can’t tell well in the pic, but the white one seems to have the same markings as the others, so I don’t THINK it’s an Amano... but then again these are my first shrimp.

Since posting I watched it for a bit and it started acting like it was molting a few times, but then nothing happened. :-( It’s still being active though.

Attachments

• 53883957-30FF-459D-B227-538464775925.jpg
    53883957-30FF-459D-B227-538464775925.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 55
Is your water quality completely in the safe zone? It needs to be in tip top safe numbers. It could be ill and might die within a couple days.

I am not aware of clear shrimp turning white unless they are looking at death, but I have seen them start turning in poor water quality where the end result would be death. Clean water can help turn it around if there is hope. It could be stressed over needing to molt.

Thank you for your reply. So after watching him a lot last night and this morning, I definitely think it’s some sort of molting issue. :-(

I don’t know what the water parameters were like in the store, but I know they had just gotten them in the day before. In other words, I know the little guys have been through a lot the last several days with shipping and all that.

I know my ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are where they need to be, plus I know we have pretty hard water. I don’t know how much calcium is actually in though, so I need to get a test for that. From everything I’ve been reading, enough calcium and magnesium is essential for their shells, so I’m just hoping there’s enough in there to help, but I’m afraid it’s probably too late since he can’t molt.

I’ve witnessed him trying to molt several times with no success and there seems to be a lighter ring of white around his midsection, which after lots of googling appears the be “the white ring of death”.

So at this point I’m not quarantining, I’m just watching closely and hoping for the best. On the plus side, he’s (or she’s) still eating and acting okay, but I don’t think that will last if he can’t get his shell off soon. :-(

Luckily the rest are still looking great so far! Yes, I realize it’s only been a day, but I’m still excited about that. LOL

It is great that the others seem well!

I have a colony (unintentionally- didn't know they were the breeding in FW type) of "Ghost" shrimp and they are hilarious to watch.

You can check with your water company and ask for the info or see their yearly report of water quality, etc, to get a base of how much magnesium or calcium you might normally have in the water.

Plain Epsom salts / nothing added is magnesium.

You can add plain Cuttle bone like for birds to help with calcium too.

Update on the white shrimp.

And also, thank you! I completely forget I can check with the water company.

So it’s 2am and I got up to get some water and noticed the white shrimp has finally died. :-( It’s been over a week and I noticed this morning some of the whiteness on the top portion of his body was starting to go away, so I was actually starting to get hopeful even though I originally thought he was doomed.

Crazy part is, I think it literally just happened because I walked in to find a single shrimp just discovering his body. Within seconds a bunch swarmed around. He lived much longer than I expected to be honest, just wish I could have helped in some way. I think it was too late though.

So I know I’m new to shrimp keeping, but I’m about 95% sure it was just a molting issue and nothing more. I’d see him try daily with no luck, but the rest are still doing great! No other deaths, they’re all active and eating, good color (or lack of color technically) and I’ve seen a couple others molt with no issues. :)

Thanks again for the advice! They really are fun to watch, the whole family loves them. My kids laugh every time they see them run across the glass. LOL

Glad to hear that although this one guy died, the rest are doing well. Keep up your water changes.

Also Crab Cuisine by Hikari is something they like to eat and the foods have necessary minerals for crays and shrimp. There is also a shrimp cuisine, but my shrimp didn't give it much notice whereas the Crab food was very interesting to them. They eat leftovers from the fish too.

Back
Top Bottom