Giant hmpk betta - tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enchantress

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all. Does anyone here have experience with giant bettas (splendens)? I've had my eye on them, but I currently only have a 45l (~10gal) tank at my disposal. It's 50x30x30cm, heavily planted - so the swimming space is a bit reduced. It's a balanced and healthy ecosystem that has been functioning for almost 4 years now. Currently home to some shrimp and snails. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all 0, it's all running like clockwork (touch wood). The only thing I'm concerned about is the space - I've heard that regular hm plakats need a bit more room than long-tailed bettas, and the giants are basically twice the size of the regular ones so logic dictates they would need an even bigger tank. But I haven't been able to find any reliable info on recommended tank size. Most sources say 10 gallons minimum is fine (even 5), but I've also heard some ppl recommending 30-40gal :eek: The breeder I'm planning to get the fish from told me ~10gal (40l) and upwards is fine for a single male, but I guess my ocd is kicking in and I want to triple-check to make sure he'll be comfortable :lol: Will that tank be OK for a single male? Or is it too cramped?

I'm eyeing one also so I'm doing research too. Bigger seems to be better: what if he grows to the full 7"? A 10g might work minimally with not much in it so he has some room to move, but they need stuff to hide in and nap behind so they're not afraid to be out in the open. Plenty of people here would probably say 30-40g absolutely, no less. What about a compromise, like 20-25g?

7 inches is unlikely, bordering on impossible. I've never seen nor heard of a betta that big (of any species), most of them get to around 4 inches, from what I've heard. Betta anabatoides are one of the largest betta species (around 6 inches), and the recommended tank size for a pair is 20-30gal. Or B. akarensis, which gets to 5.5 inches, and according to the International Betta Congress 10 gallons is sufficient for a pair. But those are whole other species, it's not the same as B. splendens, which is what most giants are. I know bigger is always better, but like I said, I currently only have the 10-11gal at my disposal. No other option because of spatial constraints.

For a single giant, I would say 10 gallon would be your minimum.

I've heard some long-time betta owners swear that some bettas thrive in a more moderately sized area compared to an unnecessarily large space. Just keep in mind they do prefer a heavily planted tank- so that's why I would recommend the 10 gallon be a minimum size. I would not discourage you from upgrading to a slightly larger tank but see no need for anything larger than 30 gallons.

Just keep in mind they do prefer a heavily planted tank- so that's why I would recommend the 10 gallon be a minimum size. I would not discourage you from upgrading to a slightly larger tank but see no need for anything larger than 30 gallons.
Thanks! The tank is nicely planted (photo attached), there are lots of little nooks and crannies to explore. Plenty of people keep giants in 10 gallons, and from what I've seen that's usually the recommended minimum, but then again that depends also on their activity level and max adult size, and I haven't been able to find reliable info on either. Eh, who knows. Maybe I'll look into rescuing a regular betta and adding a school of ember tetras or something. It's another option I've been considering, although I'm not a huge fan of community tanks and those giant bettas have been making my mouth water for years, lol XD

If I do get one I want him to be comfortable though, hence the question ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_003637.jpg
    IMG_20210320_003637.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom