Giant Pacu needs home near CT. (surprise)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...getting a chance to actually landscape a 125g is AWESOME!

I sometimes imagine what it would be like to have a big tank without the giant pleco/bulldozer in it. A girl can dream.....at least he will stop growing in a few inches.

rhetor said:
My Jag and JD feel liberated now too. Its weird how a massive Pacu can force two incredibly aggressive and intollerant fish to be best friends.

what fish are jag and jd?

It was a good looking specimin.

On another note-

The JD seems to be quite an a saucey little feller. He has habitually bullied the Jaguar Fish, who is at least 3" bigger than him. The length isn't really important as the Jaguar Fish's mouth is HUGE. The JD kept pushing and provoking the Jaguar Fish, who would just shake his head violently, gulp up some gravel from the bottom of the tank, and spit it at the JD. Finally the Jag got fed up with JD's agression and fought back. I witnessed the two cichlids do a ritualistic mating dance before engaging in some serious battle. After the JD pestered the Jag enough, they finally met head to head in true cichlid fashion, where the Jag displayed his prowess. The Jag got jack in a complete face-lock. I was worried for the JD as he has been in my family since he was a tiny juvie. The JD was held with his head in the Jag's mouth for a few seconds, then released. Then JD swam away, finally realizing that the Jag is too much of a match for him. The JD definitely beats the Jag in agression and confidence, but his mouth is just no match at all for the Jag's wide-mouth-bass looking head.

It is odd that despite their frequent quarells they still swim together. They are always together in the tank, swimming side by side. Sometimes they get into arguements where i am very worried for their safety. The Jack Dempsey always provokes the arguement, and the Jag always wins. Hopefully the JD won't be killed, as he has been with me for a long time. I am adding more territories and large enough caves so hopefully they will claim their own caves and stop bothering eachother so much.

They seem like a disgruntled married couple who can't quite live with eachother, but can't quite live without.

I had a giant pacu for 4 years, sadly he died durring Hurricane Andrews in south Florida.

This was no mere fish but was an actual pet and odd enough, a friend.

I had suffered from intestinal cancer and confined to home for a year in which time I got to know this pacu quite well. I named him pug because he was very timid at first and rammed his face into an aquarium rock, removing a big chunk of skin from his upper mouth. He didnt seem to suffer it much but I know it pained him.

Anyhow, I eventually could stick my hand into the water and rub him, he would even swim up to my hand and brush against it as if he wanted to be pet. He seems to have loved me quite a bit but didnt care for my wife much, making here sorta hate the poor guy.

When she got near the tank he would splash water hard enough to knock the top off the aquarium and scare the **** out of her (I thought it was funny, she didnt)

He wanted to eat anything I was eating and would do the same water splashing till he got it.
One day I was tossing m&ms unto the air and catching them in my mouth as he watched. Soon he began splashing the water and letting me know he wanted one.

I dropped it into the tank and it went to the bottom as he watched it sink. He began splashing water again.
This time I threw the m&m into the air and it went into the tank.

The guy darted after it and seemed to have swallowed it, then to my surprise he spit it out and caught it between his teet (he had teeth) and turned to look at me and shook his head as if showing me he can catch them too.

He was 24" long and from bottom to dorsal was 18 1/4 " tall. Very large indeed.
He would eat spagetti noodles but only if I held it up while he gulped it down.

They are very smart and given proper attention can easily become a very amusing pet.
I just wanted to share this story with other pacu owners.

As stated here, he will grow to be very big so if you dont have plans for such a big fish, dont get one. For one you may become very attached to it, number 2 you might find it difficult in locating a new home for him.

Here in Florida many have been put out into canals and this
can greatly damage the eco system.
Most recently here in South Florida, python owners have been releasing their overgrown and burdoning pythons into the everglades and a battle rages between alligators and pythons.

http://www.mongabay.com/images/external/2005/r1893035670.jpg

The snake ate the large alligator. It is thought other alligators attacked trying to save their own kind and the snakes belly was ripped open and its head was missing.
Close up images of this scene show bite marks on the rear of the gator as if another gator had attemted to pull the eaten gator from the ripped open snakes belly.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080520131750.htm

Back
Top Bottom