Gimmie color!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kharrnn

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fiance says my tank needs more color, and I agree. I'm looking for red or purple plants that would grow well in a 20g with a Dutch Planted LED strip from buildmyled.com and a pressurized CO2 system. I have liquid ferts and can easily pick up root tabs, actually planning to do that next week anyway.

I do have one red plant, Crypt Wendtii red, and I love it. It's the "centerpiece" of my tank. I know there are a lot of red and purple plants that are not true aquarium plants and I don't want to drown any plants in my quest for more color.

I am currently ciultivating some dwarf grass and crypt parva for ground cover but have quite a bit of real estate to work with still. Pictures and recommendations are most welcome.

You have a very nice setup. Top notch LED light capable of developing colors. Plus the addition of pressurized CO2! Good job. May I ask if you can be more specific in your liquid fertilizer regimen?

For now though, I'll start with some good red plants to consider.

alternanthera reineckii mini (AR "mini"), Rotala Colorata, ludwigia glandulosa, Rotala macrandra, Rotala magenta, rotala wallichii, and Limnophila aromatica.... There's more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Edit:

Ludwigia sp. Red is another moderately easy red plant. This and AR mini are probably the easiest to keep red in moderate to high light tanks.

Last edited:
For ferts I put in 1 capfull Excel, 1/2 capfull Iron, 1/2 capfull Potassium and 1/2 capfull Flourish comprehensive supplement 2 to 3 times per week.

I have 1 root tab I put in under the crypt a few months ago, so there is probably nothing left there. I also have the Eco-complete substrate, but its a couple years old now so I'm not sure it's still as beneficial as it once was.

I see.. Yeah you have mostly micros, aside from the K and minute macros contained in Seachem Comp. Lots of red stem plants are primarily water column feeders so the tabs wouldn't help much (but still good for your crypts). I suggest you switch to a more comprehensive fertilizer regimen of macros (N,P,K) and micros... Check out GLA's dry ferts. I dose PPS-Pro. There's also EI dosing as an alternative. With your high light, CO2, and ambition for color, going dry ferts is recommended.

Back
Top Bottom