Glass Catfish Info? (pictures included)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalvAL5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! I'm a newbie here this is my first time starting a thread, with that in mind on to my question. I have seen Glass Catfish (Kryptopterus bicirrhis) for sale at my local fish store and thought they were super cool. Sadly, none of the staff really knew much about the fish and I couldn't find anything related to it on AA here. Does anybody have any information about this fish or could maybe link me a fish profile?

Thanks in advance, Calv

Attachments

• image-3615292089.jpg
    image-3615292089.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 108
That is K.minor. Asian fish. Fresh water, Neutral water, not bothered by mild acid/basic. Slight Soft/slight hard. Maybe 9cm full grown. Feed best on black mosquito larvae. Frozen is fine. School, larger is better 5+(10+ better) Feeds best at lights out, P.M. Prefers dim lighting. Breeding unknown.

Kept for 7 years. 2 separate purchases, would estimate lifespan 5+ years. Easy to keep. Excellent fish, worth it just for the feeding!

Can look in a book for other info?

Like da man say :D

Oh, plus they like a good current in the water.

Oops, there is always something! Yes, this is a river fish! Or more accurately mountain streams. Plants not necessary, rounded river washed stones will make a fine species only environment.

Mine are in a lightly planted community tank. (Plants for the tetra) Peaceful.

To confirm mine mainly congregate around return pipe from filter(s)

That is K.minor. Asian fish. Fresh water, Neutral water, not bothered by mild acid/basic. Slight Soft/slight hard. Maybe 9cm full grown. Feed best on black mosquito larvae. Frozen is fine. School, larger is better 5+(10+ better) Feeds best at lights out, P.M. Prefers dim lighting. Breeding unknown. Kept for 7 years. 2 separate purchases, would estimate lifespan 5+ years. Easy to keep. Excellent fish, worth it just for the feeding! Can look in a book for other info?
Great thanks I think I will pick some up now :). A school of 6 would look great in my planted tank!

Don't forget the frozen black mosquito larvae. Mine don't eat anything else.

They may eat bloodworms but not in the same way, they really eat the BML like nothing else I've tried them on.

Post a pic! These fish are excellent!

Thank you for the thank you, costs 0, means millions!(y)

Don't forget the frozen black mosquito larvae. Mine don't eat anything else. They may eat bloodworms but not in the same way, they really eat the BML like nothing else I've tried them on. Post a pic! These fish are excellent! Thank you for the thank you, costs 0, means millions!(y)
I'll be sure to give that a try but I'm eventually going to try to get them on flake food with worms as a treat just like my other fish! I will be sure to post an update in a day or so because im on my way to pick them up as we speak :D

One thing you'll notice is once they find a spot in the tank, they will spend next too all the time in that one spot

I'll be sure to give that a try but I'm eventually going to try to get them on flake food with worms as a treat just like my other fish! I will be sure to post an update in a day or so because im on my way to pick them up as we speak :D

In all the years I've had mine they have never responded to flake. They are insectivores. I've never tried worms on them. They will eat other frozen preps but they don't eat it in the same way, I feed them those because that's what they want to eat. When I first got mine I tried all different stuff, I ended up going with BML because the response to it was absolutely amazing. Every time they it eat it is like they have never eaten before. This is the sole reason I still keep them, to watch them eat.
All other food seems of less interest. All dried food seems to drop to the floor with little or no concern for it.
They will eat daphnia and bloodworm, just some gets wasted.

That's 7 years experience on these fish, as far as I know they are all wild caught specimens and are naturally tuned to a particular diet. You may get lucky with persistence. I didn't try too hard.
I find out what my fish eat and feed them that food.

In any case good luck, that is just my knowledge so far. (y)

Okay so I put the glass cats in last night and they seem to be doing amazing! They like to school out of sight under a piece of driftwood and are so cool to watch! I fed them some black larvae last night when I first got them (I was excited and couldn't wait till feeding time to see them in action) and they are as mentioned super fast :). One thing that surprised me though was today when I was feeding with my flake food the cats accepted it without hesitation! Incredibly cool fish id encourage others to pick some up! (Sorry for the bad photo but you can see one of the little guys if u look closely)

Attachments

• image-370109996.jpg
    image-370109996.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 76
I stand corrected. Mine were kept initially with botia almorhae and ancistrus. Recently they have been moved in with tetra, less than four weeks (new fish house)

I worked out what they properly ate in Quarantine all those years ago and never tried anything else.
Don't get me wrong they go for other food it just doesn't trigger the same response. Like a puffer on a snail.

Perhaps now they are with the tetra I may witness them eating flake. I feed the tetra flake but at lights on then add the mossies as the lights go out, to ensure they get some. Greedy tetra!

They are definitely naturally insectivores.

You will definitely have years of great viewing with these fish no matter what they eat! Just so long as they eating. That's the best bit, once you get used to the fact you can see right through them! (y)

Edit- I never tried brine shrimp!

In all the years I've had mine they have never responded to flake. They are insectivores. I've never tried worms on them. They will eat other frozen preps but they don't eat it in the same way, I feed them those because that's what they want to eat. When I first got mine I tried all different stuff, I ended up going with BML because the response to it was absolutely amazing. Every time they it eat it is like they have never eaten before. This is the sole reason I still keep them, to watch them eat.
All other food seems of less interest. All dried food seems to drop to the floor with little or no concern for it.
They will eat daphnia and bloodworm, just some gets wasted.

That's 7 years experience on these fish, as far as I know they are all wild caught specimens and are naturally tuned to a particular diet. You may get lucky with persistence. I didn't try too hard.
I find out what my fish eat and feed them that food.

In any case good luck, that is just my knowledge so far. (y)

If you put a water butt with rain water in and add a little horse manure, you will eventually get live mozzy larvae.

Have you got a water butt? Or is it just the way you walk? :lol:

Made me laugh, I'm immature!

I still charge for observations! (y) invoice in the post!
My butt may be correct, now where did I leave my horse!

That is something to consider, it's as simple as that!

Maybe I could do some weird science, water+butt=enema explosion

Can I post that?:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom