Glass lid -- lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 90 litre (about 23 gallon) rimless tank.
It's 90 cm long and 32cm wide (that's about 35 inches long and 12 inches wide)

I'd like to replace the cheap-and-nasty black plastic hood with a glass lid, (because I think it will look nicer) but I've got some questions I hope someone can help with?

I have a HOB filter so I'm planning to cut the glass narrower than the width of the tank, so there's a strip open all the way along the back. I also don't like the idea of completely closing the top because that might restrict oxygen reaching the surface of my water. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

At the moment my light is a tube that is clipped inside the hood. What are my options for lighting with a glass lid? My husband suggested cutting a pvc pipe in half to place the light inside and lifting it off the glass a bit with feet of some kind?

Are there lights that you can clip onto the side of the tank or something similar?

I have plants, but only low-light ones.

They commonly sell glass lids for aquariums. The come with plastic hinges and a handle to make it easier to use. However if you are going the DIY route then this does sound like a good plan. I would definitely leave the strip along the back open for oxygen exchange.

Most lights that are sold just sit on the rim of the tank on small risers. Either that or they hang from the wall or ceiling. You might look into getting a different light. Especially because the ones that are sold with the hoods are usually pretty crappy.

Aquaone do clip on lights in a range of sizes. I have two custom made tanks and have used these lights. Only low to medium light but could upgrade the bulbs. Hope this helps

I suspect any ready-made lids for sale here will be super expensive, I've not seen any for sale -- but you never know...

But I might consider buying a ready-made light stand instead of trying to make one myself. I think I've seen some in the shops. Maybe even Aquaone? Thanks for the name, now I know where to start looking.

I made a lid from clear acrylic. Much easier to make than a glass one and also cheaper. I found wee clips so it sits flush. Good luck with whatever you do :)

It did when a had it sitting on the top but always weny back to original shape ovet night with less heat from light and after I cut it and found clips its been fine. I have low light plants so my light is about 3-4 inches above the lid.

Back
Top Bottom