Glosso

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently (3 weeks ago) added some glosso to my tank and although I do see new buds on the stems and some growth from under the soil, it seems to be in slow motion compared to my other plants.

I'm using pressurized Co2 (30-35 ppm), Regular dosing of appropriate mico/.macro nutrients and have 65W over 20 gallons.

What substrate are you using? I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that glosso needs an enriched substrate to grow well.

I have glosso growing very well in my 10 gallon with tahitian moon sand. It did take a while to take a hold, then it started taking off! Now I have to redirect the runners every few days. Be patient and IMO, it should start growing very well for you.

Many of the high light carpeting plants take awhile to get settled in and then finally take off. As long as it is green and growing, it just needs some time to get established.

This is what mine does.

It fills in, then my other plants get too tall and shade it, then it dies back. Then i trim my other plants, and it fills back in, and the cycle starts all over again. I need to aquascape better to prevent this from happeneing. Apparently there are these plants that u stick in between foreground and background plants....perhaps they are called mid ground plants :)

I am still searching for those elusive true midground plants, too! My carpet plant (Hemianthus micranthemoides) did the same thing...took several weeks to really take off, and then when it did, it grew like mad. It also won't grow under any of the other plants where it would get shaded. Be patient with the glosso and one day you'll look in and it will be all over the place.

I've had the glosso in there for 3 months now. I figured it would be a good carpet by now....not even close. Maybe someday....i recently raised my co2 to 40 ppm, but had to reduce my lighting from 260watts to 130 watts over my 55G b/c one of my cooling fans stopped spinning and the heated caused one of my versa glass top to start delaminating at the hinge.

Is it weird that i got an outbreak of algae when i reduced my lights? i was thinking that there are now excess nutrients in the water column bc my plants are using it as quickly with the decreased lighjing.

With 130 watts, thats only 2.36 watts per gallon. Thats kinda on the low side for Glosso, plus the depth of a 55 makes growth slower as well. I would try and up the light level again. Under lower light, Glosso grows taller instead of spreading out.

Glossostigma grows much faster in more shallow tanks, like a ten gallon or 20 long. If you have depth of over 12 or 15 inches, it needs much more intensive light.

Nutrients might be another issue you need to address.

Back
Top Bottom